What happens to ungraded quizzes?

Jump to solution
u6032171
Community Explorer

I have a (old-style) quiz that my students took.  There is a 0pt question on the quiz that is "essay" format.  The grades won't show until I manually score each of these as a 0 instead of a --, which is unfortunate, but whatever.

My question is how do these quizzes factor into the students' grade?  Do these "ungraded" quizzes "just work", or is there some kind of terrible failure mode?  For example, if a student earns 10/10 on the quiz, but still has the 0pt essay ungraded, does this quiz still get averaged into their grade, or does it not average, or does it count as a 0, or some other thing that I haven't imagined?  What happens here?

0 Likes
1 Solution

@ckeigher and @u6032171 I stand corrected!  

I just double-checked this behavior, and am seeing the same thing.  There was a "Treat ungraded as zero" option in the grade book, but the updated grade book does not have that, and it looks like--contrary to what I remember--the current behavior appears to be to include the points for automatically graded questions, but to award 0 points for those questions waiting to be graded.  

Here is what happens with one automatically graded question and one manually graded question which has not been graded:

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 3.50.29 PM.png

View solution in original post