Where Canvas shows a SpeedGrader option is haphazard and arbitrary

Jump to solution
arencambre
Community Explorer

A SpeedGrader option should be available anywhere I can see a quiz. Instead, where Canvas shows shows a SpeedGrader option is arbitrary and haphazard.

Where Canvas made bad design choices is anywhere I can see a quiz but am not presented a SpeedGrader option. Examples:

• Click Quizzes, then click the three dots to the right of a quiz.
  • Click Modules, then click the three dots to the right of a quiz.
  • Click Assignments, then click the three dots to the right of a quiz. (Separately, this sends me to an edit view. This violates norms in the rest of the internet. When you click on the title of a document, you generally expect a viewing-mode interface unless view-ing mode and editing are tightly integrated, which is not the case for Canvas.)
  • While editing a quiz, click the three dots on top right.

Instead of providing intuitive access, Canvas arbitrarily limited where I can the SpeedGrader:

• Click on Grades, click on the little quiz link in the header, scroll to the bottom, then click a SpeedGrader button. (This view of the Quiz is a read-only view. It is what should happen, but does not, when I click on the quiz in the Assignments view.)
  • Click on Grades, then click on the three dots next to the quiz in the header row, then select SpeedGrader.

Even if there are other options, great, but that doesn't excuse Canvas's haphazard choices on where to provide a SpeedGrader option.

Please fix this and provide SpeedGrader and other related options anywhere an instructor can see a quiz. Any choice otherwise is simply poor product design.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
arencambre
Community Explorer
Author

Adding this post so that I can mark it as an answer.

Canvas punishes you unless you access functionality in the arbitrary ways it has ordained you to do so. This results in a UI that haphazardly permits access to functionality.

For example, any time an instructor sees a quiz, Canvas should provide access to SpeedGrader. Instead, Canvas declines to provide SpeedGrader access unless you use an arbitrary set of paths to the quiz. Examples:

• If my path to SpeedGrader has me going to the Grades page (/courses/[course#]/gradebook), then Canvas deems me a very good boy and gives me SpeedGrader access. Yay!
  • If my path has me clicking on the quiz on the Quizzes page (/courses/[course#]/quizzes), then Canvas considers me a very naughty boy who must be punished by withholding SpeedGrader access.

I would love to ask Canvas fix this UI problem. However, Canvas resists feedback. I have not passed some Canvas loyalty test, so I cannot request fixes. The alleged reason for the loyalty test is phony: Even though having a university enterprise account is among the best ways to prevent spam, Canvas insists that they are a source of many spammers. 😂🤣 Without a rational basis for this prohibition, I have no reason to believe this bar is anything other than a loyalty test to save Canvas the hassle of receiving feedback.

Canvas: Frustrating your users is not a long-term success strategy. Do better!

View solution in original post

0 Likes