Why should we add students to the root account if we can just enroll/invite them to their course(s)?

Jump to solution
GraziaCunningha
Community Member

Hi-

First time Canvas Admin here. I work for a non-profit that runs a three-week training in the summer. Each week consists of different classes that last no more than 1 week. We are not a higher ed institution that will keep students for multiple years. I'm getting ready to invite students to classes.

It was my understanding that all people, including students, would need to be added to the root account before being invited to their course(s). Why is this necessary if I can just enroll them in their courses? In this method (course invite method), students get an invite and can set up a Canvas account if they don't have one. Is it necessary for reporting purposes to add them to the root account?

I'd prefer to do the simplest method possible.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you. 

Grazia

0 Likes
1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Contributor

Hi @GraziaCunningha 

No matter how students are enrolled in the classes, they are still added to the "root account", and work the same for reporting purposes.

The main purpose of creating students first and then adding them to courses is when you know who your students are--say, at a school district or university--where you are setting up credentials and will have the same students going through multiple classes.  

If your users and enrollments are more "ad hoc", based on personal email addresses with no central management of accounts or credentials, with most people only participating in one class, then creating the users directly from within the class is probably fine.

View solution in original post