Recently I was asked to unlock a course from a year ago to allow a student to complete the course. I unlocked the course and set the end date to the requested date. Will the course automatically relock when this date passes or will I need to go in and manually relock the course?
Solved! Go to Solution.
So what you are doing by changing the start/end dates on your course "Settings" page is giving all your students in that class extra access to the course, and I'm not sure if that's really what you want or not. Below those dates, there are options to restrict access before or after those dates that you set, so you could select those options if you wanted.
If you want to extend the course just for one student, the process is basically this (which your Canvas admin might have to do for you if you are not able to do this yourself):
- Go to your course "Settings" page.
- Click on the "Sections" tab.
- In the "Add a New Section" box, type in a name that you'd like to use for the student...for example, "Extension" (without the quotes).
- Click on the name of your newly created section under the "Course Sections" heading.
- Click on the "Edit Section" button.
- Add dates/times to the "Starts:" and "Ends:" boxes for the dates that you want this student to have additional access.
- Check the option for "Students can only participate in the course between these dates".
- Click "Update Section".
- Go to your "People" page, and click on the three-dot kebab icon to the right of the student's name.
- Select "Edit Sections".
- Click the "browse" link, and then select the new section you created earlier. Click the "Update" button.
- Repeat steps 9-11 for you as the instructor.
Hope this will be of some help to you!