adding sis_id to existing users

Jump to solution
Ben_Cohan
Community Explorer

I have about 50 users that were created manually which I now want to manage via SIS IMPORT.  I've added a SIS_ID (user_id) to each account manually (tedious) and am trying to suspend all 50 accounts using a csv upload.  However, when I upload the csv I see the system is attempting to create new accounts, not manage the existing ones, because I get the following for each user:

• attachment_420520230703-315655-rjc1ij.csv - An existing Canvas user with the SIS ID xxxxx has already claimed aaaa@bbbb.com's user_id requested login information, skipping

Problem is: how do I tell the system I am not requesting that it create a new account, but manage the existing one??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @Ben_Cohan 

There are some fields there are "sticky" and won't be overwritten by the SIS import if they were edited via the GUI.  However, if the record (user) was originally created via the GUI, then I think you will need to check the "Override UI Changes" checkbox when importing in order to allow the SIS import to take ownership of the record:

Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 3.50.18 PM.png

View solution in original post