anonymize users within group

Jump to solution
ChrisDavis
Community Explorer

i would like to prevent a user from seeing any detail regarding other users in a course. I would like to be to release certain files and send emails to specific groups of users throughout the semester. However, I do not want the users to know that they are in a group, know that users are receiving different files/emails, and shouldn't know that they are in a group or receiving special content/messaging different from the rest of the course.

I have experimented with combining the adaptive release for module content and with groups, but so far to no avail. It is also unclear how to make group participants anonymous to each other.

I hope I have missed something obvious and this will be a straightforward solution. if anyone as insight on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
nwilson7
Community Champion

@ChrisDavis Maybe others in the community have other ideas but I think you will need to use sections and not groups.  Groups are meant for group work, so I am not aware of any way to hide the other members of the groups from them.  When you are added to a group, Canvas even gives you a "Groups" button in the Global Navigation menu to easily interact with your group members.

With sections, on the other hand, students do not get any tools to see who the other members of that section are and if you hide the "People" button on the course menu, students should not be able to see any other students in the course at all (unless you have them interacting in something like a discussion).

Here are a few guides that will help with sections:

How do I add a section to a course as an instructo... - Instructure Community  

How do I assign an assignment to a course section? - Instructure Community

Again, maybe others have ideas on how to make groups work the way you are wanting.

Hope this helps!

-Nick

View solution in original post