combining vourses for attendance

Jump to solution
AlexisWalker3
Community Member

Can i combine courses. I have classes that connected to canvas but some courses are split in half. How can I combine so all my students are in one canvas course

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@AlexisWalker3 ...

Combining courses is known as cross-listing in Canvas.  If you have two or more courses that you want to cross-list together, it's recommended that you do this *before* the course starts and not during the course.  When you cross-list two or more courses together, you can think of it as having a "parent" course and then one or more "child" courses.  All enrollments from the "child" courses will flow into the "parent" course.  So, for example, if you had three courses (A, B, and C), and you wanted all your enrollments to be in course A, you could cross-list courses B and C into course A.  Cross-listing is something you may not be able to do on your own, though.  This is where you'd need to get your school's Canvas administrator or someone from their Online Learning / eLearning / Distance Learning department involved.  Also, when you cross-list courses, be aware that it's not moving content...it's only moving enrollments.  And finally, once the cross-list has been completed, you and your students will only see the "parent" course in Canvas.  Even though students may have registered for course B or C in your school's SIS (Student Information System), only course A will display in Canvas...so you'll want to make sure your students are aware of this as well.

I hope this information will be of some help to you.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post