Jump to solution
lisa_grimes
Community Novice

What is a sandbox? How do I create one?

0 Likes
1 Solution
rpsimon
Community Contributor

Hello lisa.grimes, and welcome to the Canvas community!

Are you an instructor or an admin?

@Chris_Hofer ‌ gives a great description here of what a sandbox is.....

Thanks for posting your question.  A "sandbox" course is just an empty course shell that you can probably request from your school's local Canvas administrator so that you can use it for whatever you like...such as storing content for use in other courses...trying out things as you build your pages that you don't yet want your students to see...building out quizzes, etc.  For example, at our school, we give each of our instructors a "sandbox" course with their name in the course title, an then we enroll them as a "Teacher" in that course.  And, they can do whatever they want with that course shell.  We don't monitor those courses because it's their area to "play". Please let me know if you have any questions about this...thanks!

Andsstefaniesanders added this too....

You might find the new course shell, or sandbox, in your All Courses list: click on Courses in the left navigation, select All Courses, and see if you can find the sandbox in the list. If not, please contact the local Canvas admin or the person from whom you originally requested the course shell for additional guidance on its whereabouts.

If you are a Canvas admin please refer to  @Chris_Hofer ‌'s information below:

Thank you for posting your question.  Here is a Guide for you to look at: How do I add a course in an account as an admin?.  You can name the sandbox courses whatever you want.  For example, we give each of our faculty their own sandbox course to play around in or build content.  We put their last name and first initial of their first name as the course title.

Hope this helps.  Please feel free to reply if you have additional questions.  

View solution in original post