detaching a rubric but not deleting it

Jump to solution
CherylBowers
Community Member

Hi all,

My university has just switched from D2L to Canvas.  There are some pluses to Canvas, but there are also some D2L functions that I miss!

My latest issue is that I have rubrics that are attached to assignments, and I would like to detach them from the assignments. However, I do not want to delete them; instead I want to retain them for use later.  is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Cheryl

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @CherylBowers ...

I did some testing in my own sandbox course with this (and I have seen a recent reply in another thread ... but I don't know where it is exactly).  Here is what I found:

• I opened an assignment in my course that did not have a rubric attached to it.  Below the assignment instructions, I created a generic rubric with a couple rows worth 5 points each.  How do I add a rubric in a course? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)  Then, once the rubric was saved for the assignment, I went to the "Rubrics" screen to confirm that it was there.  I then returned to the assignment, and I deleted the rubric below the assignment.  I went back to the "Rubrics" screen again, and the rubric had been deleted.
  • Next, I tried first creating the rubric via the "Rubrics" screen.  How do I manage rubrics in a course? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)  Then, I went to the assignment, and I attached the rubric to the assignment.  How do I add a rubric to an assignment? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)  I went back to the "Rubrics" screen to confirm the rubric was still there.  Then, I went back to the assignment, and I deleted the rubric under the assignment directions.  Once again, I returned to the "Rubrics" screen.  This time, the rubric was still there...even though I had deleted it from the assignment.

So, in my testing...if you create the rubric first in the "Rubrics" screen, it actually keeps the rubric available for you if you delete it from an assignment.  You might want to try these scenarios on your own to see if you can duplicate what I've outlined above.  Hopefully, the second option will be a workable solution for you.  Keep us posted...thanks!

View solution in original post