group assignments, but they each submit individually?

Jump to solution
MaryFoley
Community Member

Hi Canvas Community,

I would like to give different assignments to different groups in my class to determine which assignment helps students learn the material better.  I've figured out how to create groups in canvas.  Is there a way for the individuals to still do the assignment on their own?  So, it is not really group work, but individual work distributed to different groups.  I appreciate any help!

Labels (1)
2 Solutions
SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

HI @MaryFoley 

In Canvas, the term "Group" really means "Team."  Group Assignments are meant to be collaborative Assignments. 

Instead of forming Groups, I recommend that you create "Sections." Sections are meant for differentiated work. When you create an Assignment for a Section, the students will submit their word individually.

***CANVAS DEVELOPERS***   I REALLY WISH YOU HAD USED THE TERM "TEAMS" INSTEAD OF "GROUPS." 

View solution in original post

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

@MaryFoley - There is an Idea Conversation open right now that has quite the history and following. I know this doesn't allow you to do the action right now, but if you comment or rate the idea, you'll automatically receive updates if it is adopted by our Product Team.

Assign to by Group for Individual Assignment - Instructure Community  

View solution in original post