cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmille1
Community Member

"Grades" not showing in navigation menu on instructor side but is showing in student view

Can anyone help?  I went into my settings for the navigation menu and "grades" is listed right after "discussion" but when I go in to my course it is not there!  I checked the "student view" and it is there in that view.  

Any ideas??

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

That's pretty strange, @jmille1.  Could you please try clearing your cache/history, close your browser, and then try again?

Also, can you just double-check to make sure that "Grades" is in the top section and not the bottom section as described in:

How do I manage Course Navigation links?

Please check these things, and then report back...thanks!  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

0 Kudos

Thank you for the quick response but unfortunately that is still not making it work!  I completely restarted the computer too to see if that would help. I have tried Chrome and Explorer for browsers, I moved "grades" to right underneath "home" and it is still not showing on the instructor's side.   Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos

@jmille1 ...

When you look at the "Grades" course navigation button under your "Home" button, does it have a crossed-out eye icon to the right of it?

0 Kudos

no

chriscas
Community Champion

Hi @jmille1,

My guess is that your role in the course may not have grading permissions.  If you go to the People tab in the course, what does it list as your role?  If you let us know more about your tole, we in the community might be able to speculate a bit more, but I think this would ultimately be something to ask local support at your school/institution's eLearning/online/IT (whatever area runs Canvas).

-Chris

jmille1
Community Member

Okay-I am listed as designer and my director is listed as teacher although I am actually the teacher.  That may be it, do I need to have her change her role and then I can change mine?  I don't see an option to change it on my end.

0 Kudos
chriscas
Community Champion

Hi @jmille1,

i'd definitely suggest calling whatever office/person is responsible for Canvas at your institution.  In many situations an administrator is going to have to make the change themselves, or fix bad information coming to Canvas from another system which would wipe out manual changes on a regular basis even if you could make them.  I do think we've at least identified the likely cause at this point though.

-Chris

jmille1
Community Member

That is great, it may be the cause.  I will be in touch with them on Monday!  Thank you