"Seed" Annotations When Using the Student Annotation Assignment Tool

JaimeLongo
Community Member

Is it possible for an instructor to "seed" annotations within an uploaded document that students are assigned to annotate using the Student Annotation tool?

In Perusall, I can include guiding comments and questions throughout an assigned document to model what annotations might look like and to give students a starting place for how to respond to a reading. Since I teach first-year students, providing this kind of modeling is crucial for helping them understand how, when, and why to annotate.

I don't see any corresponding functionality like this in Canvas's Student Annotation tool. In order to create annotations, I would need to use a PDF editor to add marginal comments BEFORE uploading my document and hope that students can see those comments (...which I'm not terribly confident would be possible). Am I missing something about how this tool works? I just don't see why I would stop using Perusall when switching to Canvas's version of annotation would mean losing a MAJOR pedagogical advantage of using a tool like this.

0 Likes