rubric issue

Jump to solution
maya_sonji
Community Member

Hi,

I have created a rubric for 4 assessments, but every semester, when i copy the course over, only 2 of the 4 rubrics actually copy over. When I click on "Rubric" of the previous semester, I see all 4 rubrics, but for the copied course, it only ever shows the 2 copied over. I have had to re-create the 2 missing rubrics every semester, but the task is beginning to take its toll on me as workload increases and deadlines shorten. Is there a way for all 4 rubrics to copy over? Why are only 2 ever copying over? Please help. Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
James
Community Champion

@maya_sonji 

Here are some possibilities.

Is it possible that the two rubrics not showing up are account-level rubrics rather than course-level rubrics? Account-level rubrics show up in the list of rubrics but they do not show up on the course content import page since they don't belong to the course. As account-level rubrics, they are available to all courses within the account and do not need copied.

I did some testing and a course-level rubric does not have to be used in order to be copied. It shows up and is copied even without being assigned. That rules out the issue being an unused rubric.

If those two rubrics are not account-level rubrics, then are you sure that you're putting in the correct code and getting the correct semester's course when doing the import?

In all of your images, you do not include the course that you specified to import from, so I cannot tell for sure.

However, if you told it to import from SYD 2.24 instead of SYD 1.24, then it would only show two. 

Because the names of the rubrics are the same in both courses, it's impossible to use that to tell a difference.

View solution in original post

James
Community Champion

Account-level rubrics are shared between courses so that each course does not have to recreate them. They are attached to / used by some assignment. When that happens, they show up on the rubrics page like any other rubric.

You can get a list of the account rubrics by going to an assignment and clicking Find Rubric. Then scroll through to find the name of your account. Mine is at the bottom, but that's because I added a script that sorts them.

A quicker way would be to go to your rubrics page and click on one of the two rubrics that don't show up when you try to copy them. You are now viewing a rubric.

The location (URL) at the top of the browser should have a pathname of something like this (but with different numbers):

/courses/4014893/rubrics/560115

Keep the scheme and hostname, but modify the pathname to add a /api/v1 to the beginning. It now looks like this:

/api/v1/courses/4014893/rubrics/560115

When you hit enter, you'll get some computer code called JSON (Firefox may organize it for you, but Chrome runs it all together).

Near the top is an id, context_id, and context_type.

{"id":560115,"context_id":97773,"context_type":"Account","data":

It's the context_type you're looking for. If it says Account, then it's an account rubric, created by someone else but used in your class and it won't copy over to the new class during an import. If it's Course, then it's a course rubric and should be showing up.

View solution in original post