scafold assignment in canvas

Jump to solution
cmirajkar
Community Explorer

How do i create a scaffolding assignment on Canvas?

I want my Microbiology students to research one particular disease. 

Week 1 : find information on the pathogen

Week 2: signs and symptoms of the disease

Week 3: cure / prevention / treatment 

etc...

Close to the end i want them to share their work with other students. Before that only the said student and I should have access to the work where  I comment and help the student find more information.

Other than google doc,. is there any other app that i can use?

thanks

-Charu.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cmirajkar ...

Keeping in mind that I do not teach courses in Canvas (I am a Canvas administrator for our College), would it work for you to create separate assignments in Canvas (one for each part of the assignment) and make each of them non-graded?  Students can still submit work to you, however.  Then, you'd have one final assignment where you could give the final grade (or if you were grading each part, you could do that as well).  Communication would be between you and the student.  You could also then create a threaded discussion topic (graded or non-graded) to be used at the end of the assignment, and this would be the area where students could share their work with their classmates...just as you described above.

What are your thoughts on that?  You wouldn't have to use any third-party tools outside of Canvas to do any of this.  It can all be done within Canvas.

View solution in original post

jerry_nguyen
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cmirajkar 

There is a 3rd party LTI tool that is integrated directly into Canvas (not an app). It's called "Stackle", it allows you to build questions, activities, or journals throughout learning modules and allows students to create a portfolio at the end.

View solution in original post