unable to process

Jump to solution
JenniferSmuniew
Community Novice

I keep getting an unable to process message everytime I try to video my students for my morning news. It was not a problem until the last few weeks. I have erased files and it still seems to be doing it.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @JenniferSmuniew 

I understand that you are getting an unable to process message when you try to video your students. I had a few questions for you on this. 

• When you are trying to get this video into your course, are you using the "record/upload" feature in the rich content editor when this happens? Or are you recording a video outside of canvas and uploading it? One thing to note about the Record/upload feature is that If your media is longer than 15 minutes, you may want to consider recording and uploading using an external provider. Longer media recordings require more time to render and may be interrupted without a stable internet connection.
  • Do you know how large the video is that you are trying to upload? Canvas converts files up to 500 MB. If a file exceeds the 500 MB limit, you can host the file through an external source such as YouTube and embed it using the Rich Content Editor.

There are couple troubleshooting steps you can try if you continue to run into this issue. The best option would be to clear your cache and cookies for "All time" on the browser you are using. This will help give your browser a fresh new start and possibly help it with uploading large video files. Here is a guide for clearing that data for MAC and PC

You could also try to upload it using a different browser or even an incognito/private browser window to test the issue. Canvas is optimized for a few browsers you can read about HERE

It could also be related to your network speeds. Slower network speeds can sometimes lead to timeouts during the upload process. I like to use THIS website to test my network speeds if I am seeing odd behaviors such as this. 

Hopefully this helps!

-Colton

View solution in original post