cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Canvas by Instructure Release Notes (iOS 3.15)

In this Canvas by Instructure update, students can add annotations in PDF files for assignment submissions.

Download the Canvas by Instructure app in the iTunes Store. Version 3.15 requires iOS 8.0 or later.

New Features

< BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS

Student Annotations

Students can annotate PDF files for assignment submissions within the Canvas app. This feature allows students to create annotations in files such as in-class worksheets before submitting the assignment. Students can open the file either from a link in assignment details or within course files, leave annotations, and submit the annotated file.

Available annotations include highlight, underline, strikeout, squiggly, drawing, free text, and image.

Labels (1)
24 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Any plans to extend this functionality to students' personal (non-assignment) files so they can take notes directly on slides/handouts?

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

This is actually a bug that will be getting fixed. It shows the annotation icon on phones allowing the doc to be annotated on, but on tablets that annotation icon is not appearing. When that gets fixed, you'll see the annotation icon in files too, on an iPad.

As for the use case of taking notes, that wasn't the intended use case here, but could very much be a next step! The file and annotations are stored in a caches directory on the device, so it's meant to be a short term thing, definitely not long term. So I currently wouldn't recommend it for anything besides annotating things such as worksheets, and submitting as an assignment submission.

That's a great idea though! I totally see that as a way to extend this further to be even more helpful to users!

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Live Demo of Student Annotations scheduled for Thursday, October 6th.

RSVP now!  Mobile Annotations: Quick Demo

Highlighted
Community Member

I had my students use the new annotation feature today and submit through their iPads. After they submitted, however, no assignment showed up for me or for them as submitted. I had a few students in the next class who, when they logged in, got the annotations from the student in the previous class, as well. How do I see the assignments they've submitted? And can I not use the same document for more than one class (if the other students work shows up on the document still)? (Students were logged into their own account when the other student's work showed up. A few submitted the assignment as a picture because I told them to take a screenshot once I realized they weren't submitting. Only one student's assignment submitted and I tried to find out what she did differently but it sounded like the same process as everyone else.) Any idea what might be going on?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I also had the same experience today. The submission didn't time stamp for the student and didn't show they had submitted the assignment. I also wasn't able to find the submission in Speedgrader.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Hi cjohansson@graniteschools.org​ and shara@esu2.org

Thank you both for sharing this information with us. Have either of you filed a case with support? This will help us resolve the issues you are experiencing. Once you file a case, you will receive updates from our support team as they become available. Thanks again!

Highlighted
Surveyor

I did chat with support earlier. They mentioned that this was brand new and they didn't have all of the information yet and that's when I turned to the community (they referenced this post). I suppose I should report a problem.

Thank you!

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Alright - so seems there are two issues at play here.

1. The work being saved to come back to finish filling out a form isn't being cleared on logout. This should be removed when you submit, but if you do any more annotating after submission, that will get cached again. Is that what is happening there cjohansson@graniteschools.org​? We should clear the cache on logout just to be safe, and I'll make sure that gets done. I just want to make sure that the document's annotations are getting cleared after submission, but just that the problem here is that there are annotations being created after submission, and those are what persists.

2. The whole submission not showing up is a deal breaker! Ouch, sorry! We can't reproduce this in our testing, can I ask some questions that will help us figure this out? I'm assuming this is on iPad? Where is the document being opened from - is the student working from modules, the assignments list, etc? The submission type for the assignment, that includes a file upload submission type, correct? Is there a file type constraint on the assignment?

Thanks cjohansson@graniteschools.org​ and shara@esu2.org​!

Highlighted
Community Member

1. It appears that the saved work is showing up again on previous students whose assignments did not submit. So it saved their work, apparently, because it didn't submit. (Even after having gone through the submission process.) The work from the one student whose assignment actually submitted had been cleared from the original document when she opened it again, so I think it clears it after they submit but only if the submission goes through.

2. Yes, on iPads. They are opening an attachment in an assignment from the assignments list. The document is in PDF format and when they go to submit it, there is no way to change it so I assume the file submission type is also PDF. I do not have a file type constraint on the assignment.

3. Here is my guess as to what's happening: The documents are taking a while to submit, but since there is no submission status bar, students log out before the assignment is submitted and then for some it's gone when they come back and for others the cache isn't cleared when the next student logs in. If there were a submission status bar, like when submitting any other type of assignment, or if it showed up in the list of assignments to submit, perhaps this might solve it?

Unanswered Topics
No posts to display.