cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Releases Q&A: 2021-09-18 Manage Assignments and Quizzes Permission

Looking to discuss this feature from the 2021-09-18 Release Notes? Post a reply and start a conversation!

POSTING GUIDELINES
  • This topic is for feature discussion only—please share use cases, best practices, etc. regarding this feature
  • Please thread replies as much as possible to keep posts organized

WHERE SHOULD I POST...?

• Idea enhancement feedback to product managers should be submitted in ideas.canvaslms.com (though linking to the idea here so others can find it is welcome)
  • Bug reports should be submitted to Canvas Support—bugs will not be triaged in this thread

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
degensp28
Community Participant

This update confuses me. The referenced idea (https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/In-Permissions-Separate-quot-Manage-add-edit-d...) suggests three permissions, which makes sense because there are three different tasks (add, edit, delete). From the release notes, I am not sure what happened to edit, as I only see reference to add and delete. Is there any clarification we can receive as to what happened to edit? Is it mixed in with add, delete, or some third option I am missing? Is there a rationel we can be provided as to why the idea of three permissions was rejected in favor of two?

0 Kudos

Hi, there is no rejection. Eventually the edit permission (which is still included in Assignments and Quizzes - add / edit / delete, and mentioned in the notes) will be consolidated into the granular permission with the other two. Breaking out permissions is complicated. 🙂

Thanks,

Erin

@degensp28  I see that add, delete, and edit will all be there just separate permissions. But I'm not clear on the order they will be listed. If they are displayed in alphabetical order, then @erinhmcmillan is this what it will look like?

• Assignments and Quizzes - manage / edit
  • {permissions that start with the letters "B" through "L"}
  • Manage Assignments and Quizzes
    • Assignments and Quizzes – add
    • Assignments and Quizzes – delete

Or will permissions for Assignments and Quizzes appear one after the other in the permissions list?

The release notes state, "Renaming this permission will be completed before the production release; currently the permission still displays as add / edit / delete in the beta environment." Since the change will happen Sept. 18 (10 days from now), it would be super helpful to be able to see the changes in the Beta instance now.

0 Kudos

Hi, Sylvia,

It will be the first as you outlined in the bullets, alpha order.

We'll get this permission turned on in beta soon so you can see it. I'll update the release notes when the renaming change has been made as well.

Thanks,

Erin

lezonl2
Community Contributor

Is this permission change for new quizzes or classic quizzes?

0 Kudos

Both types of quizzes rely on these permissions.

Thanks!

Erin

0 Kudos
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, all,

The release notes have been updated to show that our engineers completed combining all three permissions together into Manage Assignments and Quizzes. So all that previous language about waiting on future adjustments are now gone. 🙂

Thanks,

Erin

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

I have a question around reports, roles and permissions. Does anyone know how to pull a report, or use API calls, to get a list of roles that are in each sub-account, whether customised or not, that indicates the status of each permission associated with that role (by sub-account). Is anyone able to change my role/permission life forever and make it super simple for me to get this info?

Example, IF something were to go horribly wrong with this feature when it hits production (and I'm not saying that it will, beta indicates to me that it should go well), and I needed to know what roles in what sub-accounts were impacted, I'd want to pull a report out prior to production. This report would let me select these two permissions (sorry - the other permission being updated in this same Sept release is Groups), and show me the state of these two permissions against each role in each sub-account. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos