How do I navigate my subject as a student?
This lesson applies to users at institutions that have enabled the Canvas for Elementary user interface.
If you are enrolled in a Canvas for Elementary subject, the Course Home Page helps you navigate your subject and manage your coursework.
Note: If you do not have an active enrollment in a Canvas for Elementary subject, the classic Course view displays.
In Global Navigation, click the Subjects link , then click the name of the course .
View Subject Home Page
In the Home tab , you can view subject announcements, if added by your instructor .
You can also view your subject home page .
- Only the most recent subject announcement displays on the Subject Home page.
- Subject announcements are automatically hidden after two weeks.
- If the Home tab does not display in your subject, it has been hidden by your instructor.
View Subject Modules
In the Modules tab, you can view modules for your subject . Modules can include assignments, discussions, quizzes, pages, files, links, and external tools.
To collapse an individual module, click the module's collapse icon .
To collapse all modules, click the Collapse All button .
To view details for a module item, click the item's title .
Note: If the Modules tab does not display in your subject, it has been hidden by your instructor.
View Subject Schedule
In the Schedule tab , you can view various action items for your subject this week.
Each item displays the item name , number of points (if points have been assigned) , and the due date .
Each item also displays an icon to differentiate between different assignment types and other items in the Schedule .
When an online assignment is submitted, the item is automatically marked as completed. To view completed assignments, click the Show completed item dropdown .
To view missing tasks, click the Show missing items dropdown .
To view item details, click the name of the item .
View Subject Grades
In the Grades tab , you can view your subject grade if allowed by your instructor .
To view assignment group totals, click the View Assignment Group Totals dropdown .
You can view an assignment's submission status in the Assignment column .
Graded items display scores in the Score column .
If your instructor has added feedback to your submission, click the View Feedback link .
To view grade details for an item, click the item name .
- If your instructor has hidden total subject grades, dashes display in place of the total subject grade.
- If the Grades tab does not display in your subject, it has been hidden by your instructor.
View Subject Resources
In the Resources tab , you can view important information your instructor has added to your subject .
If student applications have been added, you can view them in the Student Applications section .
- If content has not been added to Important Information, the Important Information section does not display.
- If student applications have not been added to the homeroom, the Student Applications section does not display.
- If student applications and important information has not been added to the subject, the Resources tab does not display.
View Subject Groups
If your subject includes at least one active group, the Groups tab displays .
In the Groups tab, you can view all subject groups.
To search for a group or person, use the Search field .
To view group users, click the group's Expand icon .
If you are a member of a group, you can visit your group page. To visit your group page, click the Visit link .
A Lock icon appears for groups in which you are not a member .
Note: If the Groups tab does not display, your subject does not have any active groups.