Find your school's Canvas URL
To find your school or institution's Canvas URL, begin typing the name of your school/institution. Results will appear after you type at least 3 characters. For best results be as specific as possible. If you can't find your school, try using any part of your school's name or searching for your school district or state. You may also need to search for the school using the acronym or full name, for example "USU" and "Utah State University".
How do I submit an online assignment in Canvas for Elementary?
This lesson applies to users at institutions that have enabled the Canvas for Elementary user interface.
You can submit online assignments in Canvas for Elementary using several submission types. Instructors can choose what kind of online submissions they want you to use. You may also have the option to resubmit assignments if your instructor allows.
This lesson shows how to turn in a standard online assignment.
Third-Party File Application Submissions
You can submit assignments from Google Drive, Dropbox, or another third-party service via your desktop computer in one of two ways:
- Download the file to your computer and submit as a File Upload
- Share the file, copy the file URL, and submit as a Website URL
- Not all file types may be available for your assignment, depending on the assignment submission type set by your instructor.
- Not all of your assignments may be submitted online. If you cannot see the Submit Assignment link, your instructor may want you to submit your assignment in a different way or the availability date has passed. View the description of the assignment for instructions, or contact your instructor for assistance.
- Canvas does not support file uploads larger than 5 GB.
- If enabled in your account, Canvas plays a celebration animation when you submit an assignment on time. However, if you prefer, you can disable this feature setting in your user settings.
- If the assignment you are accessing displays differently than the steps in this lesson, your assignment may be using the Assignment Enhancements feature. Please view this guide for more information.
- Group assignments do not support the student annotation submission type.
In the Homeroom , click the Schedule tab .
Note: You can also access assignments through your subject's Schedule tab, your subject's Modules tab, or the Calendar link in Global Navigation.
The Homeroom Schedule displays this week's items for all of your subjects.
To view items for previous or future weeks, click the Previous or Next buttons .
To view your missing assignments, click the Show missing items drop-down .
To open an assignment, click the assignment name .
View Assignment Details
Assignment details display including the due date , points , allowed submission types , allowed submission attempts , and the assignment description .
If the assignment includes a rubric, the rubric displays .
View Submission Attempts
Your instructor may limit the number of submission attempts you are allotted for an assignment. If your assignment has a limited number of submissions, you can view the number of submission attempts you have made  and the number of submission allowed for the assignment .
Once you have used all your submission attempts, the New Attempt button displays as disabled .
View Final Grade Notice
A banner may appear above your assignment to indicate that your instructor has removed the assignment from total grade calculations. However, this setting does not affect assignment submissions.
To begin your assignment, click the Start Assignment button.
Note: If you cannot see the Start Assignment button, your instructor may not want you to submit your assignment online or the availability date has passed. View the description of the assignment for instructions, or contact your instructor for assistance.
Select Submission Type
Your instructor decides what kinds of submissions are appropriate for each assignment.
There are five submission types: Student Annotation , File Upload , Text Entry , Website URL , and Media . You can only select one submission type per submission.
- If a subject application can be used to upload submissions, such as the Google Doc app, additional submission options may display .
- Your instructor may choose to restrict file types that can be submitted to the assignment.
Submit Student Annotation
To submit an annotated document, click the Student Annotation tab.
Note: Group assignments do not support the student annotation submission type.
Submit File Upload
Submit Text Entry
To submit a text entry assignment, click the Text Entry tab.
Note: The assignment submission Rich Content Editor includes a word count display below the bottom right corner of the text box.
Submit Website URL
To submit a website URL, click the Website URL tab.
Submit Media Recording
To submit a media recording, click the Media tab.
When you are ready to submit your assignment, click the Submit Assignment button.
Note: Large files submitted using the File Upload tab display a submission status indicator.
After you have submitted your work, submission information displays in the sidebar . If a file was uploaded, the sidebar provides a link to download your submission.
If you choose, you may resubmit another version of your assignment using the New Attempt button . You will only be able to view the details of your most recent submission in the sidebar, but your instructor can see all of your submissions.
- When you submit your assignment, the assignment is automatically marked as completed in your schedule.
- When you resubmit an assignment, you can only access and view your most recent submission. However, instructors can view all of your submissions.