Set Up Your Canvas Course in 30 minutes or Less

nathanatkinson
Community Team
Community Team

Need to quickly get up and running with Canvas? These 7 videos will get you started with an overview of Canvas, how to build and manage a course, and how to create and manage course content. View additional Canvas Overview videos or read the Canvas Instructor Guides for additional information.

PLAYLIST

72 Comments
Community Member

I am trying to set up a course as I am virtually teaching from home. On the right side of my screen I do NOT have the option for Start a New Course.

Torisen
Community Member

Guys, as of 8/17/2020 this is the navigation and overview video and does not focus on setting up a course.  Is there a "how to set up your course" dedicated video?

when I follow the "Canvas Overview (Instructors)" link from the general guide it sends me to this exact video, which seems to be more accurate.

brigittesalami
Community Member

I have the same problem. I cannot figure out how to set up my course. 

zmohr
Community Member

On the top left, their is a dropdown arrow. I think it is the second video "Courses: Creation and Management"

stephenreed
Community Member

It appears that much of CANVAS is like a highly refined adaptation of Google Classroom. I just got a better than working knowledge of Google Classroom; my students are at ease here. It will take some doing to understand and introduce the new CANVAS way of running remote.                                       

rzabransky
Community Novice

How do people without a course number get the students into their canvas?  I am a counselor. 

CanvasDocTeam
Community Team
Community Team

@Torisen and @brigittesalami,

@zmohr is absolutely right, there is a drop-down menu at the top of the video that shows a list of the 5 videos in this series. If you watch each video to the end (or just skip to the end) the next video will auto-play. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

- Nathan

CanvasDocTeam
Community Team
Community Team

@rzabransky I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish when you say "get students into their canvas". Can you please give us more detail? Are you trying to view the progress of students in their courses? Or something else? Let us know!

Thanks,

- Nathan

CanvasDocTeam
Community Team
Community Team

@stephenreed it definitely takes some hands-on time in Canvas to get the hang of things, but that's the case with learning most new things. The good news is that you're in the right place to learn about everything that Canvas has to offer. Be sure to check out the rest of our Canvas user guides at guides.canvaslms.com. Best of luck with your journey with Canvas this school year!

Thanks,

- Nathan

CanvasDocTeam
Community Team
Community Team

@000025722

If you don't see the Start a New Course button, your Canvas admin may have disabled that option for teachers at your school. I recommend reaching out to either your Canvas admin or your school's technical support team for help setting up a new course.

Thanks,

- Nathan

lipschms
Community Novice

Is there a way to get the instructional videos to go fullscreen? The details are pretty microscopic. Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

AnneMH
Community Novice

This set of 5 videos has been incredibly helpful as I set up my first Canvas course! 
Unfortunately, the 5th video kept flickering in and out for some reason...though the audio was fine.  It was difficult to keep focusing on it; I hope there is some way you can fix this. 

Marcos5
Community Novice

Hi  hello guys mane is Marcos have a problem with my family,the problem is the personality

ScottGolem
Community Member

There are many positive things going on here. right now it is like trying to take a drink from a firehouse. I will need to get on it to turn down the water pressure. 

Almeida
Community Member

Hi, I would like to say thank you for all your amazing work to teach me how use the Canvas.

Thanksgiving, Paula

Em_emily1201
Community Member

hey

26mgray
Community Participant

hi guy I can't see the  videos

26mgray
Community Participant

27057535_170x100.png

gravitysuksv15
Community Member

I have set up my course and it has been published.  However, I am unable to change the "visibility of the course.  The option in the settings tab is greyed out and says "If you need to make your course public please contact your administrator/support. 

I am currently using the free version as this is a project for university class.

Is there any way for the free version to allow the visibility of the course to be changed??

Many Thanks

@nathanatkinson 

Ken79
Community Member

Perhaps it might be useful for future professors who might wish to test out or adapt Canvas LMS, provide the instructional videos for easy download.  At my university during working hours, the Internet is slow and as a result, I cannot stream these videos.  

Marlon007
Community Member

Thank you

26mgray
Community Participant

yes 

solaris
Community Member

Not good enough, v disappointing

Community Member

Trying to set up canvass Re not getting any messages.

cutechihuaua76
Community Novice

ok this is very hard!!!!!!!😑

zcarmina31
Community Novice

Hi. 

I am in Mexico and for my courses I use the hour from Mexico in the settings. For some reason in my computer I program the class 4pm but my students see the class in the calendar at 5mp.

Can you tell what can I do?

NeilSUMNER
Community Novice

Is there any way to make the instruction video full screen? I cannot read the text even when wearing my glasses!

RathaSOKUNTHEA
Community Novice

Dear CANVAS Team,

I am a new user of CANVAS here. After checking, I find most tools interesting plus assessment.

Do you have a video record option that I can record after I finish teaching my class?

Thank you for your answer.

Regards,

Ratha 

RebekahMattox
Community Member

HI!

I made a big error on my course by importing another course after publishing my course.

The imported course took over my home page and initial course icon on the dashboard.

I was able to fix my home page.

But on my dashboard, I need to delete the imported course icon and replace it back with mine.

I cannot find how to edit a course icon on the dashboard.

How do I edit on my dashboard? How do I replace an image on my course icon on the dashboard?

Thanks,

R

HabimanaAlphons
Community Explorer

Thanks this course

HabimanaAlphons
Community Explorer

Thanks this course because is helping haw can guide the same one and ather.and to create may obution in May caree.

CarlosEchezuria
Community Novice

I have set up my course and it has been published.  However, I am unable to change the "visibility of the course.  The option in the settings tab is greyed out and says "If you need to make your course public please contact your administrator/support. 

I am currently using the free version for a private class.

Is there any way for the free version to allow the visibility of the course to be changed?

Thanks

CarlosEchezuria
Community Novice

When I click on Publish, It says that  I need to complete the registration sent to my email but I haven't received anything in my mailbox as such. How can it be resent? Thanks!Screenshot (27).png

drcoleenpeed
Community Member

This was very informative.  Thanks

HabimanaAlphons
Community Explorer

Thank so much for helping to increase my skills and knowledge it can help me to prepare good future

SallyFox
Community Member

A little more than 8% of people have some type of colorblindness. I'm one of them,

I found it very hard to see the red boxes you used to point out the dashboard, etc., that were probably very clear to most people. I don't know if you took colorblind people into consideration when you chose your color palette, but I had to rewind 3-4 times to catch the movement of the red boxes and figure it out.

Here's a link to related information for designers. https://99designs.com/blog/tips/designers-need-to-understand-color-blindness/

Just FYI...

Thanks for this learning opportunity to help me set up my class on Canvas.

KortneyHaywood
Community Member

very explainatory 

HabimanaAlphons
Community Explorer

Thank you for helping me it can help to increase my skills and knowledge in my life

JeanBarbre
Community Member

Thanks. This information will be helpful. 

HabimanaAlphons
Community Explorer

Thank you so much for helping me

gabby92fsfsfsgs
Community Member

bjsaBKJ FC  HF

SemihaMete
Community Novice

Thank you .This was helpful video.

PamelaDrix
Community Member

I am looking for help to set up Modules and Pages within my published course site for my college courses.  The tutorials I saw added to many bells and whistles to the course design.   I need a straightforward course website for content delivery and ability for students to submit artwork and essays. I figured out how to add Voicethread to the sites, but I don't see how the app gets activated within the site. Sorry for all my confusion!

gabby92fsfsfsgs
Community Member

i need help changing courses i click on the wrong one

CesarioLabajoJr
Community Novice

Is it possible to download this video?

Community Member

oh

DeloresShirley
Community Novice

Thank you. Extremely helplful video.

Rachel_Beck