Admin Analytics and Inconsistent Outcome Use Data

SteveWatkinsMel
Community Explorer

I am a (newish) Canvas Admin for my school and my institution uses Outcomes that are attached to rubrics and are graded/tracked in the Learning Mastery Gradebook. This academic term, our use and application of Outcomes at the course level has been inconsistent due to rapid growth in our instructor population combined with minimal-to-no opportunity to onboard/train; not to mention a few of our returning instructors either forgot how to set this up in their rubrics or chose not to do so.

I was looking through Admin Analytics on the Course Page using the Feature Use in Courses With Activity table to see if I could determine how many courses are using Outcomes vs. those that aren't (to determine specific instructor populations to mandate training and to help with our institutional reporting), and saw a number that made sense with my assumptions about our use of Outcomes. Essentially, it reported that not quite half of our courses show use of Outcomes, which seemed to confirm my suspicions. When I clicked on this bar graph to see which courses were using Outcome, I received a helpful pop-up that showed which courses were using Outcomes and how many had been used.

However, one of the instructors who I *know* is using Outcomes in their course was not present on this list; when I went to their course to double-check, it showed that the instructor *was* using Outcomes and had them aligned with assignments that had been graded. Now I'm wondering if I'm reading this table all wrong and concerned that I'm not understanding how to use this Feature Use in Courses With Activity table at all. If anyone could help me understand this inconsistency, whether it be my error or some issue with Admin Analytics (which I understand is still being tested out), I would be incredibly appreciative! 

Labels (2)
0 Likes