cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

OAuth Invalid/Unknown Client Error

Are developer credentials from Canvas limited to a particular Canvas shard?

Okay, so this one has really stumped me. I have some LTI applications that are being used by a variety of institutions on a variety of Canvas instances. I was working with an institution to install one of the tools and I keep getting the following error from the https://<institution>.instructure.com/login/oauth2/auth page:

{

"error": "invalid_client",

"error_description": "unknown client",

"message": "invalid client_id"

}

Has anyone encountered this before or know how to go about diagnosing the issue?

Here is some additional information that may be helpful:

• My client ID is correct in the URL.
  • My developer credentials came through Instructure (not those you can now generate at the institution level).
  • My developer credentials have been used successfully in 6+ different Canvas instances.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Labels (1)
4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

So, ran into this issue as well. In my case it appears the instance I was working on is self-hosted, and I needed the Admin to create a developer key the allows access to my client ID.

How do I add a developer key for an account? | Canvas Admin Guide | Canvas Guides

Not sure this is valid for your case though, as I see your note below:

• My developer credentials came through Instructure (not those you can now generate at the institution level)

The main difference again is the instance I am working on is out of the norm as a self-hosted Canvas instance.

Highlighted

Thanks for you input stephen.isenberg@pearson.com​. It is nice to know that this issue will also arise on a self-hosted instance. While the instance I am working with is not self-hosted, it is not a typical Canvas instance so the core issue may be the same.

Highlighted

Hi there,

We've also encountered this error message when self-hosted Canvas instances attempt to connect to Badgr. We've narrowed it down to an incorrectly entered developer key or secret or that Redis had not been installed. I am curious to hear more about how others have encountered or resolved this issue.  Thank you!

Highlighted

Hello Stephen,
Thanks for your research on this, it's helped me out. I've gotten myself a developer key now, but I'm wondering how I might apply that to my routes? Where exactly should my clients put this developer key? In the route::get that redirects to the authentication page, perhaps?