Questions Enrollment-Modules-website

Jump to solution
TerryDowning-Ha
Community Member

Hello;

I am using the Canvas Free-For-Teacher account as part of an experiment for my dissertation for my doctorate. I have created modules for college students to access and I need help with the following issues.

• I have set up my course for open enrollment and have students click the appropriate link to enroll. I want students to be able to sign into my course as many times as needed to complete the modules.  However, when testing this out once the student is enrolled; the person gets an email to finish enrolling by setting up a password. But when the person tries to use the password, the password does not work, and the person cannot get back into my Canvas course a second time. Please tell me what steps I should follow to correct this?

• Is there a way for students to just see my modules when they sign onto Canvas and not see the homepage or the dashboard?

• My plan is to create a website, and place a link to Canvas onto the website, along with a few other links. Is it possible to place my free-for-teacher Canvas link onto a website for students taking part in my experiment to access?

• I want to make it so that students must complete Module1 Before they can start module 2, then they must complete module 2 before they can start module 3… and so on. I have tried using the prerequisites, but it doesn’t seem to work very well. What can I do so students have to complete one module before they start the next module?

Looking forward to your prompt reply.

Thanks so much.

Sincerely,

Terry

0 Likes
1 Solution
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @TerryDowning-Ha 

Thanks for posting this in the Community! 

I am not sure what would cause the password issues on your first question. There are a few things they could try and troubleshoot. 

• Is their browser possibly trying to log them in with an incorrect save Password? If so you could have them try and clear the cache and cookies on their browser. Here are the Canvas guides on clearing cache and Cookies on MAC and PC
  • Are they able to login using an incognito window? 
  • Are they able to reset their password and login again?

For your question about what students see when they login:

• When students login, they will usually see the dashboard view first. Form there they can click on the course card and access the course. You do have the ability to change what is set as the home page in your course. HERE is a guide on how to manage the Home page settings.  You could configure the course so that they see the modules page when they access the course.

For your question about sharing a link for your FFT course:

• One thing that came to mind was enabling the Course Self Enrollment with a Join code or Secret URL. HERE is a guide on how that works. 

For your question about modules: 

• You could use Module Requirements (Guide) to configure their ability to move through the course modules. With the configuration of module requirements, you can require students to View an Item, Mark a Page as Done, Contribute to a Page, Submit to an assignment, or Score At least. You can also set them up so that they have to move through the requirements in sequential order. 

Hopefully this helps! 

-Colton 

View solution in original post

0 Likes