cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tellison
Community Contributor

Anyone using Flipgrid?

Just attended a webinar in regard to CanvasCon IUPUI: CourseNetworking - How a Social Media Platform Can Increase Engagement in the Onlin...‌ when I opened up an EmergingEdTech newsletter.  One of the featured apps was Flipgrid - Video for student engagement and formative assessment.  I was wondering if anyone has used this before in their classes and if so how did it go?  It says that it can be integrated with Canvas so I was wondering if it was effective.  I would like to share it with our faculty if it proves resourceful and a good form of active learning similar to the CN post.

78 Replies
sean_flaherty
Community Participant

I haven't figured out why I see duplicate videos sometimes, but not all the time.  It's strange to me that I'm setting things up the same way every time, presumably my students are submitting the same way every time, and sometimes I see duplicate videos.  There are so many variables between which students are using computers, apple phones, android phones, etc that I have a hard time pinpointing any particular reason things do or don't work with Flipgrid.

As far as the Canvas gradebook issue goes, as long as I have created the assignment within Canvas and show that students are submitting via an external tool (which I have linked to their Canvas page) they can see that their video was submitted.  However, for one of my Canvas courses that is actually two sections of the same course merged together, I have had to create placeholder assignments within Canvas which direct the students to go to their particular Grid to submit their recording.  Since Canvas believes there is no submission (instead of submission via an external tool), the gradebook does not automatically show that they have submitted anything.  

Thanks! This is helpful. I was demoing it for the Faculty and noticed it and wanted to make sure i wasn't crazy. Perhaps I can reach out to Flipgrid and see what they say...Do you guys use the Free version or do you have the Teacher subscription? We also have VoiceThread and now Canvas can do media uploads...So we are trying to see which one can help our World Languages out the most in terms of accessibility and ease of use. 

sean_flaherty
Community Participant

Is there a paid version anymore?

Last year I asked my college to pay for the full version then the subscription was refunded after Flipgrid was purchased by Microsoft or something like that.

The largest issue I'm having with Flipgrid is that students can't even see their own submissions when the topic is moderated.  Many of the assignments I assign are personal reflections.  Ideally they would be able to see their own reflections so that they can refer back to any statement that I provide specific feedback for.  Also, it would be a nice metacognitive task to have them reflect on the progress suggested by their reflections throughout the semester.

aolsonpacheco
Community Participant

@shaomeng ‌ Would you be able to look into this?

@sean_flaherty    @ckofeldt 

I reached out to Flipgrid about duplicates...

Hi Jonathan,

I'm sorry for the issues you're having.

Our team has identified the duplicate video issue to be caused when integrating a Grid you previously created outside of Canvas. To prevent the duplicate issue, you will need to disconnect your Grid from Canvas which will allow you to generate a fresh Grid within Canvas. (FYI: All existing content will be disassociated with SpeedGrader, however the grades that have already been given will be retained, so we recommend grading all ungraded assignments before proceeding.)

I have the rest of the instructions if interested I can forward the email to anyone. Email me at Jayoder@ojrsd.com

traciebosket
Community Contributor

Nick Zingo, Moorpark Criminal Justice faculty, created these two super helpful videos about integrating Flipgrid and how to "re-set" them if needed...

"Canvas & Flipgrid Detailed Instructions" and "Flipgrid_Start Over" 

"Canvas & Flipgrid Detailed Instructions"

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

"Flipgrid_Start Over" 

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

shaomeng
Community Participant

Hey everyone. Thanks for tagging me. I just returned from a vocation, will be looking at this today and post an update as soon as we have something in the works. 

shaomeng
Community Participant

For courses with multiple sections, we do not create multiple grids corresponding to different sections, I'd recommend just creating a cross-section assignment, because, you know, it's Flipgrid, the more the merrier   . Or, you create different assignments and assign it to different sections, so separate topics (in the same grid) will be created for these assignments. When student accessed the grid from outside of Canvas, or not following the external assignment link, (something like https://canvas.instructure.com/courses/1/assignments/2), the response will not be submitted as a Canvas submission because Flipgrid has no submission context (is it just a regular social video or a video for which assignment?), as a result, it won't show up in the Speedgrader automatically. 

Hope that helps. Still looking into duplicate video issues....

shaomeng
Community Participant

@Jonathan Yoder @Sean Flaherty We found the issue and can confirm this is only happening on the web browser, should not impact mobile Flipgrid apps. We will push a fix later today or tomorrow after we verified the fix. Thank you everyone! Please don't hesitate to reach out to me or the team with your feedback or concerns.

aolsonpacheco
Community Participant

Can you add a Canvas Rubric?

Hi Flipgriders! Has anyone been able to figure out how to apply a Canvas Rubric to an integrated Flipgrid assignment? It's awesome that it links to speed grader, but I have several faculty requesting the use of rubrics and external tool assignments doesn't seem to have that option.

Note: I've tested the flipgrid provided rubric and it doesn't seem to integrate into speedgrader well and it doesn't have enough customization. 

Please let me know if you've found a way to do this!