cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kate_hill
Community Contributor

Training for Faculty/Adjuncts

I am the Canvas Admin/Online Learning Director/Instructional Designer at a small, private college. We have just adopted Canvas and faculty/adjuncts love it! What I need now is training over the summer for my faculty/staff. We don't necessarily want to pay big bucks for the pre-packaged solutions, and I can do the training on my own. What I would like to know is what kinds of ideas/strategies have you implemented to train your instructors?

149 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kate_hill , we have a completely online self-paced faculty training course (in Canvas) that we developed that I'd be happy to share with you. We haven't finished linking to the new guides and are still in the process of updating it based on some recent changes to Canvas (and some general housecleaning), but you are welcome to check it out the public version and see if it would work - Public Instructor Training (updated with new link on 2/18/16)

The live version is set-up with pre-reqs so faculty have to move through the course in order their first time through. We have them go through the training course while they build their first course in Canvas, so that way they can directly apply what they are learning to a real course they are building. For us, training is mandatory, and once faculty finish the training course and have fully built their course I then review their course and make sure everything is done correctly before they are certified to use Canvas.

Let me know if you are interested in using our course and I'll get you more information and the zipped file of the course.

snugent
Community Champion

@kate_hill ​ We don't require faculty to attend training like Richland does (although it would be nice). When we migrated from Blackboard (AKA WebCT) I strongly encouraged faculty to attend my sessions and most did. I focused my efforts on faculty who taught online because I knew they would be struggling if they didn't have some training since Canvas was so different than WebCT. If you are coming from another system, it is super important to stress the differences between the two systems. Our faculty got tripped up quite a bit by not understanding how integrated the gradebook is with the assignments, syllabus, and calendar pages in Canvas. We also have some lingering issues with migrated content. I let people migrate their own content which I believe now was mistake. If I had to do over again, I would of migrated their content for them and clean-up the course before I released it to them. We have lots of courses that have web pages in Files. If you can do what  @kona ​ did, I would. Nice course Kona! It will definitely be worth it.

My current strategy is give faculty multiple avenues of getting information. I have built a tutorial site they visit at anytime they need help. On the tutorial site I have a quick tutorial on each page, a link to printable handout, and video tutorial. I rely heavily on the Canvas guides and videos. I have created some videos and plan to do more. I also put information in our weekly newsletter because I know most people read it and it saves me from sending mass emails that nobody will read. I offer face to face sessions when the changes are big like Draft state and Canvas Commons. Some attend but face to face sessions are not well attended. Most people know that I can answer their Canvas question pretty quick so they will email or call when they have a question. I am thinking about offering mini courses and possibly attaching badges to them.

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Kate,

One option to consider is what we call the Canvas Challenge (which just this week we are updating).  Faculty members work through a series of daily challenges with support from a local facilitator and then at the end all meet f2f, maybe for lunch, to discuss what worked, what didn't and what parts they liked the most.   @Renee_Carney ​ can fill you in if you want more info.

That is great  @kate_hill ​

Welcome to the Canvas family.

There is a course that was updated last week called the Canvas Challenge.  It contains 10 challenges and is designed with the intention of instructors completing one a day - therefore completing in 2 weeks.  The most successful facilitations have had the challenge group come together after their 2 weeks to discuss their learning.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Totally wish something like this existed when we implemented Canvas! How cool!

Very nice to see how much Canvas has advanced just in the last two years in regards to the support they provide to new Institutions! happypanda​

There is also an Instructor Orientation course (self paced), but it is not updated yet.  Watch for it soon.

A lot of what used to live in 'What training resources does Intructure provide our clients" will soon live in the new community under Find Answers.

@Renee_Carney ​, I tried the link for the Canvas Challenge and was asked for a username and password. I tried both the one I use for other "community" courses at instructure.com and for my institution, neither worked. There is no "new account" setup on the page. Does this page require special credentials or is there a box not clicked?

Hi John,

We are in the process of updating and in some cases moving our training related resources and courses in conjunction to the move to the new community platform.  You should be able to view the challenge course without having to create a new account.   @Renee_Carney ​, when the course is ready, please send John a good link. 

Thanks