Act as User (Masquerade) for Sub-Account Admins

0 Likes
(42)

We have a need for our sub-account admins to be able to masquerade as users. Our sub-account admins are typically school/college level support staff that cannot be given account-wide access.  The staff are currently dependent upon account-level admins for debugging issues with students and instructors. 

The masquerade function for sub-account admins would need to created in such a way that the sub-account admin could only masquerade within courses that are listed within the sub-account.

27 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

timothy_maw
Community Champion

I agree, this would be very helpful. Sometimes you need sub-account admins to have more functions than we can currently give them.

jason_waltz
Community Participant

Agreed. We'd like to limit the access to the feature for building principals at only their building (sub-account). In fact, we'd also like to provide teachers the ability to act as their students.

CherylMcHone
Community Member

I 100% agree and would love to see subaccount admins to be able to act as users.  In the K-12 setting, we have school based guidance counselors and special education case managers that NEED to have access to grades and overall performance for a lot of students (50-300 depending on role), however, they should not be able to access this for students across the entire district.  This would help us support our students and staff at a much higher level than we are currently limited by with the lack of subaccount admins being able to act as users.

cdatko
Community Explorer

Please! We have the need for faculty to test on a demo student account and not through student view! 

crawfom
Community Participant

Canvas used to have this ability and then removed in a few years back.  I wish they would bring this feature back because it is much needed.  We need to have the ability for certain users to have the ability to act as users within a subaccount but not the entire account.

CarlaD07
Community Explorer

Agree! As our district continues to grow we have a number of people who need to be able to "Act As" other users in order to effectively fulfill their role. With this only available at the root account level, many of these people are denied the ability to masquerade as others because we are not able to limit this ability to a specific sub-account.

jsowalsk
Community Champion

Agree! This would be extremely helpful especially so there wont be so many admins at the root.

robotcars
Community Champion

I would add that this could be resolved by allowing the Act As to be assigned to Account roles other than Account Admin. It doesn't have to be for a Sub Account, but any Account role, not Course role. We have a Support Admin role that's utilized by our user support department for 300k students and 20k teachers. It would be helpful if Support Admin role (for the instance) could have this without making the Support team Account Admins.

SHEBENE
Community Champion

That would work great. I could see limiting it to roles that are account roles instead of course roles and being able to tweak at sub account levels would give us a lot of granular control without being too messy. 

jegarza07
Community Member

I agree, this would be very helpful.  Our University has similar issues to what others have mentioned where we have a federated model of support of our faculty.

adehart
Community Participant

Agree!  This would be a tremendous help for our departmental support staff.

dfenton
Community Member

This would also be very helpful at a large institution with many different schools where there are few people who need access to everything, but many people who need masquerade access for their subset of stakeholders. 

CKongUCLA
Community Member

+1 on this feature. In our institution's old LMS, this was super helpful as we could see if the student or instructor change a setting or function that was conflicting with what we noticed.

This would also help expedite the design process as the Discussions and LTIs would be owned by the instructors and not the designers.

amberstokes
Community Member

UCLA must-have, upvoting.

crawfom
Community Participant

This was extremely helpful when the ability to Act as User at the subaccount level when we have Canvas in our first few years.  Why did this ability get removed in the first place?

ctoby5
Community Member

This is so needed! I would utilize this for troubleshooting for faculty and students.

Harrisbe
Community Member

Act as User is only available for root admins.  Sub account admins need to be able to have this feature for troubleshooting purposes.

WolseyHallSupp
Community Explorer

Yes, please! We need this function as well at the sub-account level 🙂 

JonathanRodgers
Community Member

It is virtually impossible for us to efficiently and effectively support our departments (i.e. sub-accounts) without Act as.../Masquerade.