Add Multiple Rubrics to One Assignment

(42)

At our college, faculty would like the ability to attach more than one rubric to an assignment. This is especially the case when importing account level outcomes / rubrics.

Originally posted by Tony Anderson on the old community: Add Multiple Rubrics to One Assignment : Help Center 

Ideally, it would be great if there was an option to make the second rubric hidden from students. This feature would be quite valuable for us institutionally, when incrementally assessing learning outcomes in our GenEd program over a four-year period.

Sam McCool articulated this nicely on the old community board:

This feature would then enable an instructor to award a grade for an assignment based on a course level rubric aligned with the course outcomes as well as record an evaluation of the performance based on a program outcomes rubric. 

116 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

laurelp
Community Participant

Please add this feature! I've run into issues in more than one course because of not having the option of multiple rubrics!

kblunck
Community Novice

We have a couple multi-part projects where each part has it's own rubric, but the project itself is all one grade.  In this case it would be very helpful to be able to the option to put multiple rubrics in Canvas.  I hope this is a very soon change in the process!

kburner
Community Novice

To follow along with Kelsey's comment, ideally, there would be an option to identify which rubric(s) are tallied to create the final score.   It would be even more helpful if weights could be assigned to rubrics (this could be done via point allocation across all rubrics but it would be elegant if weights could be assigned).  It would not be helpful if all associated rubrics were automatically aggregated/averaged to calculate the grade.

dcosgrove2
Community Novice

REALLY want this!  I schedule my course by topics, and the order often changes according to schedules for guest speakers and other considerations.  I combine different topics on exams as necessary.  One rubric per exam is NOT working for me.

deea_mcneall
Community Novice

The concept of adding more than one rubric would greatly benefit K-12 teaching. Given that we have such a range of learners/academic levels (ELA, EC etc), this would allow us an additional differentiation technique. Additionally, adding in a range of leveled rubrics would make the program even more user friendly for K-12 teaching.Thanks!

kurt_sys
Community Member

Rubrics are actually pretty useless if we can't do this... When it comes to granularity, you want your rubrics to be reusable in different courses/assignments, but each assignment needs a composition of rubrics for scoring. This is just common sense. (I actually can't understand why this is not the case by default in a LMS system... ). Please, make this happen, otherwise, we're back to square 1, using Excel files all over the place, which are really faster than making separate rubrics for each assignment. (Honestly: rubrics in Excel are more 'composable' than Canvas for now, go figure!?)

Anna_Shaver
Community Participant

+1 for more usable rubrics. I generally compose my rubrics first in Excel (or Google Sheets) anyway, then copy and paste into Canvas. I'd love a .csv import option. But that's a separate issue...

Anna_Shaver
Community Participant
ronmarx
Community Contributor

I voted this idea up, but PLEASE perfect the design of the rubric by voting this idea, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12350-simplify-rubrics-look-and-operation , UP. Adding optional headline labels to rating categories, enforcing uniform column widths, and eliminating redundant scoring labels within the rubric grid will make reading the rubric EASIER for students, and make the rubric more USABLE for teachers.

Thanks.

pamelahill
Community Novice

This is important if you are allowing student choice on assignments. I'd like to include a rubric for each of the options. 

kburner
Community Novice

Yes! This would make specification grading (https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2016/01/19/new-ways-grade-more-effectively-essay ) much more manageable and clear for both teacher and student.

dborgia
Community Novice

Would love to see this for the 19/20 school year!

gramos
Community Participant

You can do a lot of specs grading using outcomes (but I recognize that there are situations where "outcomes" are not the same as "specs" or where rubrics are necessary for specs grading). 

tbrecheisen
Community Novice

We often have multiple instructors for one course (Portfolio Committee style) and having a dedicated Rubric for each instructor would be very helpful.

whitenj
Community Novice

This would allow (1) easy combination of subrubrics for different assignments (2) using one rubric for a grade and other for ungraded feedback.

Steven_S
Community Champion

I would use this for peer review assignments.  I want students to complete a peer review of rough drafts using the final paper rubric.  However, I do not have as many criteria for the actual rough draft grade, and do not actually assign a grade using the rubric students use for their peer reviews.

brittany_usman
Community Explorer

Another use case for having a second rubric is for grading assignments that have been resubmitted. Right now, if an instructor adds comments to a rubric for a first submission and the student resubmits the assignment, the instructor is given the same rubric with their initial comments. If they overwrite those comments, the comments are gone and cannot be retrieved! In the case of grade disputes, it is not good that this data is lost.

Please add the ability to have a second rubric in a way that also allows for the feature that each assignment submission gets it's own version of the rubric so that unique feedback added as rubric comments are saved for each attempt!

Steven_S
Community Champion

And now I see that having different rubrics for peer reviews is another idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/16149-rubrics 

ada1
Community Novice

Con cuantos votos se llevaría acabo?

Gracias!