Allow folders in Pages

(257)

The Files section of Canvas allows folders for organizing files. Pages does not. Why the awful inconsistency in the user interface? I currently have 30+ pages that I've created in - all in flat directory structure. I'd like to be able to organize them, you know, like Files and stuff I have on my computer.

Comments from Instructure

Please refer to the update from the product team here

406 Comments
frederick_smith
Community Novice

I agree 110%, Kathryn.  Canvas scammed us all, it seems!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings all.
Conversations in the community unthread after 100 comments, making the conversation difficult to follow, and official comments hard to find. For this reason we're posting our most recent update here and at the top of the idea itself:

We know this is an important topic to many. We appreciate all of the use cases (pros/cons) that have been presented and the ideas for solutions. We are working toward a longer range strategy that we envision solving many of the struggles you've expressed here. We do not have an immediate solution. Stay plugged into Canvas Studio to watch this strategy unfold (beginning with Assignments 2.0)

kbeachy
Community Novice

Hi Renee, 

Thanks very much for your communication. I had no idea about "unthreading" (what a great word). I, too, was beginning to wonder about how to find official comments in such a large conversation. 

You all have probably communicated this to us many times, but can you tell me what Canvas is planning for the first quarter 2019 release? And what is Assignments 2.0? 

Thanks.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kbeachy , I’m not sure of the answer to your first question, but here’s information on Priority: Assignments 2.0‌. 

Hope this helps! Kona

bdust
Community Novice

Wait. What? Canvas has known about this problem since 2015 and still hasn't addressed this as an issue?

My school is new to Canvas. I have been using it for less than a month and already this has been a PiTA for me to the point where I had to delete a ton of Pages to make it workable.

I was hoping that there would be a quick resolve to this problem; now I have my doubts.

develand
Community Member

Bob, in a way it's too bad there aren't other options for folks to consider by way of an LMS. I understand folks using Moodle and Sakai have this sort of thing figured out.

lesson page organization I get from several faculty who don't use Canvas that this is already a doable thing and has been for quite some time. I see that with Sakai they've even incorporated pretty decent page layout design.

lesson layout and flowStill it's good to see that someone on the Canvas inside loop is paying attention to this request. Maybe we'll see some movement soon.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@kbeachy  

We also do not do quarterly releases.  You can find more information about our release schedule on the Release Notes: Canvas‌ page!

nsweeten
Community Contributor

Kona,  Do you know if the new Assignment 2.0 includes any Adjustments to SCORM handling?  It looks like it is underway. Is it still possible to add comments and requests to that?  (Right now SCORM comes in as a graded or ungraded assignment only, without a content page option. This means clogging the gradebook with zero point assignments and trying to explain the inconsistency to faculty regarding their SCORM lesson content. 

kbeachy
Community Novice

Thanks Renee,

I understand the "schedule". What I could not figure out was what was being addressed.

Your attention is appreciated.

Kathryn Clark Beachy

Adjunct Professor

Tulane School of Professional Advancement

800 E. Commerce Blvd. Suite 101

Harahan, LA 70123

(504) 865-5333

bdust
Community Novice

I do not see the schedule on the link that you provided, only a list of what is in the latest release. Where can we find the schedule?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@bdust ‌, you'll find links to the release schedule calendar here.

greenspaam17
Community Novice

It is quite annoying to have to scroll through a single page to find everything you are looking for. Having folders would benefit everyone and decrease the amount of headaches I get from this current format.

Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

1600 votes in favor of this upgrade/update. You would think someone would be paying attention?

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

1601, John. :O)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@jrboek , Please read the highlighted note at the top of this idea.

hasti
Community Champion

@Renee_Carney ‌, I assumed  @jrboek  had read the info that has been in bold at the top of this idea for a while now. What I interpreted John's question to mean was:

Given that this is the top vote-getter and has been on Canvas' radar as an issue for years now, you would think Instructure would care enough to do something to fix this.

Clearly you (Instructure) are "paying attention" - you are paying attention enough to post information to the effect of "we won't fix this, but in a year, if it's still important to users (i.e., if some other ideas don't magically surpass it and push it out of the top vote-getters) we promise to once again act like we are considering doing something about this (before saying we won't be addressing it for yet another year"

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Tough words,  @hasti , but a truthful conclusion based on the written records here since 2015. I think that unless one or more of us actually sit on Instructure's Board of Directors, this improvement like many others in CCommunity is a crap shoot.

As experienced Canvas users, however, we all know that this LMS is the best on the market today. Until another group of college students gets together to build a better mousetrap, or the folks at Blackboard can turn on a dime and offer all the current and asked-for features of Canvas, plus offer a full conversion from Canvas, we're expecting an echo in a vacuum.

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

As someone who has just seen an idea developed with 270 votes there arevclearly other reasons as to why or why not these features are taken forward. As I have said before in many other posts and also in Some Ideas for 2019...., more transparency and clarification is needed in this idea process and better reasons given as to why an ideas such as these are not developed.  One can well understand your and  @hasti ‌ and  @jrboek ‌ and many others frustrations...

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Thanks for the reference to your brilliant post, https://community.canvaslms.com/people/Gideon.Williams . Analyses of how Instructure uses Canvas Community to help guide its development of its LMS hold the corporation accountable to its users, its employees, and to itself.

tlampley
Community Contributor

Greetings Sir,

Indeed I did!  Thank you!