Assignment Enhancements: Feedback

In the new assignment enhancements feature separating out comments and the assignment submission makes it more difficult for students to compare their assignment to the feedback provided by the tutor. They need to flip between the two to establish what the comments are referring to. General Feedback is more useful alongside the submission and not as a separate entity so that students can compare and understand how a grade has been achieved. Having separate tabs in a mobile interface might be useful but on the web, students really need to align their coursework submission with their feedback.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please refer to the comment from product here.

7 Comments
Steven_S
Community Champion
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@b_w_reid @Steven_S and for all who are interested in this conversation, please add your feedback to Matt Goodwin's blog post: Update assignments navigation for students

awolfe
Community Contributor

I agree that students should easily be able to compare the feedback with their submission without switching between views/tabs.

I recently submitted a related idea from the teacher's perspective in SpeedGrader:

Show entire comment history for submission in Student Assignment Enhancements 

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure
Comments from Instructure

@b_w_reid, I know that you are already aware of this update, but I wanted to still post here for the benefit of others who have commented and who may happen upon this request in the future. 

I completely agree that students must see their feedback alongside their submission if they are to get the most out of the feedback and fully understand what they can do to improve. We have recently updated assignment enhancements to move the feedback out of the separate tab to a tray that sits alongside the submission for this very purpose. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed