[Assignment Enhancements] Show entire comment history for submission

As part of my grading process I will often leave students feedback in Canvas and expect them to use that feedback to improve and resubmit their work. Previously, I used to be able to easily see my entire comment history when reviewing student work and was able to have an ongoing conversation and easily see my old feedback.

The old behavior in SpeedGrader was to show all comments for a student on an assignment. In the Student Assignment Enhancements, this was changed so that only "Comments for this Attempt" are shown. Teachers now need to toggle back through old submission(s) to see what they previously said about a student's work.

I would like to suggest that this behavior be reverted or at least an option be provided to "Show all comments" to allow teachers to more easily have this sort of ongoing dialogue with students about their work without needing extra clicks to review old comments.

Added to Theme

17 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@awolfe 

Thanks for sharing this idea. As it moves forward for general discussion, you might also be interested in adding a rating and comments to Assignment Enhancements: Feedback - Canvas Community.

bmcdonald1
Community Novice

Yes, viewing back comments is VERY important, especially as more schools transition to Mastery learning, where assignments are often improved based on Comments that the teacher makes.  This change really doesn't make sense to me.... ?

shammond
Community Novice

Yes! Please revert back to comments for each submission!!

rhughes20
Community Novice

I agree with @awolfe, to have this reverted back so that all comments be visible for all submissions! This will tremendously help students and teachers. 

grace_alexander
Community Explorer

Yes!!!  

(Where's the upvote button here?)

awolfe
Community Contributor

Thanks @grace_alexander!

See How do idea conversations work in the Canvas Community?  under "How do I rate a conversation?" (You click the star rating at the top of the page 🙂)

lberry
Community Novice

A most emphatic YES! My students need to see ALL of my comments!

caronhalt
Community Novice

Yes! Please revert back to comments for each submission!!

delphine_puxty
Community Novice

Agree with @awolfe (thank you for starting this conversation).

Incredibly important that students AND instructors can view past comments and feedback related to all attempts not just the most recent.

Please re-instate this function as soon as possible!!

kelleymi
Community Explorer

YES!!!  Please allow all comments to be viewable in one place for both students and for instructors in Speed Grader. Students are struggling to find previous comments once a new submission happens. And when I'm busily moving through Speed Grader, if a student did a second submission, it's too easy for me to miss previous comments/questions/discussions we had on the first attempt. I have to remember to roll back to previous attempts to see everything. It seems unnecessarily messy, and this is really gumming up the works with student/instructor communications. Students are emailing me asking where previous comments went even though I have instructions that explain how they (and I) have to roll back to previous attempts to see old comments or use the Grades area to view comments altogether. It would be great if the course settings could be adjusted for default view of all comments or comments by submission.  Then, the instructor could decide how comments could function best for the course.  If nothing else, please allow us to adjust Speed Grader to show all comments rather than by submission.