Configure group navigation list

(8)

The group navigation list should be configurable so that either teacher or student group can choose functionality. Teachers should also be able to lock these settings.

As a teacher I want to be able to select what functionality will be available to a group, and visible in the group navigation menu. In this way I can better control how the group can collaborate. 

10 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for sharing this idea,  @lotta_frojdfeld ‌. Here's a related idea for your consideration: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2579-allow-groups-to-set-homepage 

amber_parker
Community Novice

Would be great to also be able to choose Instructors, Designers, and TAs to not receive announcements from each group! 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@amberlp ‌, that would need to be considered as a separate idea. Please search through Ideas‌ to see if someone has already suggested it; if they haven't, please share your own after reading How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?

rodger-ling
Community Member

The "group menu" that replaces the regular menu makes me dizzy.  In what user interface is it considered good design to hide the familiar menu and replace it with a doppleganger menu that isn't even labeled as such?  And there's no easy option to get out of the group and back to the regular menu--you just have to know to click on the breadcrumbs (which of course have also changed when you enter "group world," violating the very idea of breadcrumbs). The entire design needs a re-do, but in the meantime, at least give us the ability to control what appears in that crazy menu. 

mnalim
Community Novice

The main items needed to be shown here are group Assignments. Without this, group members have no way to correctly navigate to their group assignment in my course, where each student is in multiple groups that have identical assignments. They keep submitting information from group X to the assignment for group Y and vice versa (X and Y are in different group sets due to canvas limitations), but there is no easy way for them to know. The 'to do' list does not tell them either, as only the assignment name is shown, not the group name.

BVarela
Community Explorer

Teachers in elementary grades need to be able to control the navigation bar for Group Sets. 

Creating the Group Sets is helpful as a tool but I cannot use it in K-8 at the moment because I do not want students to make announcements, discussion posts, collaborations, or conferences. I do want to be able to assign those things but I do not want them making their own. 

I like in student view, they see something on the global navigation bar that says groups. Can we also get that tab for teachers? It would be easier to access and manage groups if we didn't have to navigate to course, settings, and group sets. 

Thanks 🙂

ADuncan23
Community Member

Teachers need a better way to navigate when in a Group. At present, when I am in a Group Assignment -- or in my case, Discussion, my navigation bar to the left changes to only be able to navigate in that group. I need my class navigation tools there also. Otherwise, if I want to go back to the Discussion assignment itself or to a module that the assignment is in, I have to go all the way back to Courses, then the home page, then the modules, etc. I would love it if all of the navigation pieces relevant to that group alone would move over to the righthand side, and the navigation bar on the lefthand side stayed relevant to the entire class. I am hearing from students that they would also appreciate that. We all really love what groups do for us; it's just that we get stuck in the group window and can't seem to get out. Thank-you!

DanL
Community Explorer

Agree this should be configurable like the main course menu navigation. Upvoting!

keubanks
Community Novice

Upvoting!

I agree that the "doppelganger" menu is very confusing to students. I've just been answering emails from students who couldn't even find the names of their other group members. They didn't understand that the People link in the Groups navigation menu--although it looks identical to the link in the main course menu--is actually not the same. 

Letting group members design their own homepage won't solve the problem.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.