Don't show students quiz answers when the "Show answers" box is unticked.

0 Likes

Exactly this. I'm an instructor, and I just discovered that putting in sample answers in essay questions results in students being able to see them after finishing their quiz, regardless of what boxes I untick, and before the deadline. Very helpful, 10/10, would recommend your automated cheating system again.

Tags (1)
5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@KHIII 

Thanks for this feedback. The instructions for adjusting question response visibility in Classic (Old) Quizzes are in the Set Quiz Options section of  What options can I set in a quiz?  I just tested this: when I disabled the check boxes designated as 4, 5, and 6 in the screenshot, this is the message students see when viewing a quiz consisting entirely of essay questions where I placed comments in the comments fields:

Quiz results are protected for this quiz and are not visible to students.

In other words, students were not able to view the instructor comment fields.

For those using New Quizzes, the instructions are in  How do I restrict students from viewing assessment...  As the document explains, when all of the checkboxes under "Restrict student result view" are enabled, students will only see a confirmation of their submission—nothing else.

Would you please use the support pathway provided by your school to ask a member of Canvas Support to have a look at the settings on your quizzes?

Thanks.

KHIII
Community Member
Author

That doesn't do anything to prevent students seeing the sample answers for essay questions, which is what we use for short answer questions.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@KHIII I'm not able to reproduce this. Have you asked Canvas Support to have a look? Also, are you using Classic (Old) Quizzes or New Quizzes?

KHIII
Community Member
Author

I'm using the classic quizzes, and what's happening is, I have an essay question, I give a sample solution in the gray box under the question, and when I had "Let students see their responses" ticked, they got this before the deadline:

Screen_Shot_2021-04-10_at_6.06.19_PM.png

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@KHIII Yes, that is correct: for Classic Quizzes, you'll need to disable "Let students see their responses" if you don't want students to see the contents of the feedback boxes. 

Our product teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled for deprecation and end-of-life, so we've archived this idea.