cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I restrict students from viewing assessment results in New Quizzes?

How do I restrict students from viewing assessment results in New Quizzes?

You can manage if students can view their assessment results in New Quizzes. You can also select which result items are visible to students, including points awarded, points possible, questions, responses, and feedback.

Restricting student from viewing their results in New Quizzes does not apply to viewing scores in the Gradebook. To restrict students from viewing scores in the Gradebook, you will need to enable a posting policy or hide grades that were previously posted.

Open Quiz

Open Quiz

You can create a new assessment or open an existing assessment from the Quizzes page.

To create a new assessment, click the Add Quiz button [1]. To edit an existing assessment, click the title of that assessment [2].

Open Settings

Open Settings

Click the Settings tab.

View Warning Message

View Warning Message

If students have already submitted the assessment, a warning message will appear on the Delivery Settings page.

Hide Student Results

Hide Student Results

By default, students can view all results for their assessment attempts. To hide assessment results from students, click the Restrict student result view button. When this option is enabled, instructors can manage what is displayed to students in their assessment results page. This includes answer choices, feedback, and scores.

Note: Students may still see their assessment grades in the Gradebook when the Restrict student result view option is enabled. To hide grades from students in the Gradebook, you will need to enable a posting policy in the Gradebook.

Manage Result View Settings

Manage Result View Settings

When the Restrict student result view setting is enabled, you can select assessment items that will display to students. To display an item in student results, click the checkbox for the item [1]. Any items that are not select will remain hidden [2].

Show Points

Show Points

To display the points awarded for the overall assessment and individual questions in the assessment results page, click the Show points awarded checkbox [1].

To display the points possible for the overall assessment and individual questions in the assessment results page, click the Show points possible checkbox [2].

Show Items & Questions

Show Items & Questions

To display assessment items and questions in the assessment results page, click the Show items and questions checkbox [1].

If the Show items and questions option is enabled, you can also manage the option to display student responses and item feedback.  To display student responses in the assessment results page, click the Show student response checkbox [2]. To display item feedback in the assessment results page, click the Show item feedback checkbox [3].

If the Show student response option is enabled, you can display to students if their response was correct or incorrect by clicking the Indicate response as correct/incorrect checkbox [4].

If the Indicate response as correct/incorrect option is enabled, you can indicate correct answers when incorrect responses were selected by clicking the Show correct answer with incorrect response checkbox [5].

Comments

Hello,

Something from Classic quizzes that would be a nice feature added to New Quizzes, is the date feature to release the feedback.  That way faculty members do not need to worry about remembering to go back into the quiz and turn on correct responses.  If this is in the tool already that's great, but as I was doing some digging, I didn't see that feature available anywhere.

Thanks,

Crystal

I completely agree with Crystal's comment.  I tried the new quiz format this semester and my students are hating it because they can't see what they got right or wrong.  The issue is that I'm not going to allow students to see what's right or wrong before the quiz is closed - it just makes cheating that much easier.  With the old quizzes I could set everything up in advance including specifying a when students would be able to see their responses and the right answers along with when they lose access again.  With the new quiz structure I have to manually remember to go in and open and close everything and with all I have to do to manage my classes this gets missed - a lot.  That frustrates students and it frustrates me as an instructor.  I'd really like to see that capability put back in or give us the option to retain classic quizzes - they worked great.

Hi @admin_bu_carr and @jfirooz,

Thanks for your comments! For the longevity and searchability of your idea, please share in the Idea Conversations space. This is the space reviewed by product teams when organizing development of new features and updates in Canvas.

Cody

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
Wednesday
Updated by: