cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-mail Confirmation Upon Assignment Submission

E-mail Confirmation Upon Assignment Submission

It would be very useful to have Canvas generate an automated e-mail response when I submit an assignment through the assignment page. This is a feature that my University's legacy system had in place and was very beneficial, especially when issues with submission arose, the e-mail confirmation was a nice comfort blanket to know that my assignment had successfully submitted.
(1)
61 Comments
Community Coach
Community Coach

Erik:

When you submit an assignment in Canvas, a confirmation box displays in the upper right corner, includes a big green chark mark, displays the date and time of submission, and also shows the document name submitted.

I hope this helps.

Community Member

I love this idea! I would see this functioning as a new notification item that defaulted to ASAP. I would also like to see the notification fire on submitted quizzes too as we often have reports of no submissions on those. This would have so many positive effects. 1) Provide a clear indication to students they submitted something in an external system (external system is important, so an issue with Canvas can't affect the submission "receipt") 2) Provide evidence for a student to use in a grade dispute 3) Give faculty a very easy solution for resolving non-submitted work grade disputes.

Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February, 3, 2015.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

Community Member

FYI for everyone who likes this idea, please vote for ​  so we can get this functionality added for Quizzes as well as Assignments.

Lamplighter II

I agree with awilliams​. graded quizzes and  discussions should have this as well. This is probably one of the most common help desk requests we get coming from students and instructors. It would be awesome to have good feedback when something is submitted.

Community Coach
Community Coach

If this feature moves forward, I'd like to see the email confirmations to have options like other notifications. (ASAP, Daily, Weekly, None) If each assignment automatically sends an email to a student, I can see how it could be overwhelming. However, if students want the back up documentation in addition to the green check-mark or the "turn in again" notification in mobile, students could opt-in with an email schedule that fits with their workflow.

Community Member

Yes, it would make sense to work it into the existing notification system and give the option to dial back the frequency so long as those summaries included an exact timestamp for each submission.

I would like to stress how valuable this would be not because it's a backup or secondary notification, but because it would be the only documentation outside of Canvas for a user to use to provide evidence of a submission error. As it currently stands I field many of these requests for further investigation of a student report and unless the student was forward-thinking enough to take a screenshot of every "Turned In!" message, there is never anything they can provide to back up their claim that they submitted the assignment on time.

Community Member

Account Admins have access to the "Page Views" for each user, which is a detailed chronological listing of the URLs visited by a student (in this case).  It seems to show quizzes taken and submissions.  How about giving each user access to their own "Page Views" and this could be used as proof of activity?  This would reduce the need for extra notifications or emails.  After taking a quiz or submitting an item, the student could check their "Page Views" and see if the Canvas database had recorded their activity.

Community Coach
Community Coach

bgibson@uncfsu.edu​, that's the problem. Just because a student clicked on something doesn't mean they actually submitted it. This would provide a confirmation to the student that they actually did submit the Assignment.

Community Member

Also, to clarify the need a bit further, even if the student had access to exactly what admins have, that is still information within the system. This information can not be validated with any other source other than the word of the student at the moment. With an email the student could provide evidence that not only was there an issue with the submission, but also the page views.