cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Tool Submissions for Group Assignments

External Tool Submissions for Group Assignments

(10)

Does anyone else want to see group assignments enabled for external-tool submissions? Specifically, our faculty are interested in using Turnitin or similar plagiarism-detection tools with groups assignments.

20 Comments
Navigator

Very much, jls2245@columbia.edu, and not only for Turnitin. Our institution works with a Canvas partner, https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/partners-platform/forclass?sr=search&searchId=d4a4...‌, which .is group-enabled and interested in using this.

Community Member

I would also really love this feature. I've created my own LTI tool for Canvas for auto-graded code assignments in my class, and the lack of group support means that each group member needs to submit the assignment separately so they can see results from the auto-grader. This undermines the point of a group assignment, and will inevitably lead to inconsistencies among the grades within a group, and we'll have to manually reconcile these inconsistencies. A group LTI assignment would be much cleaner.

The LTI 1.1 spec seems to have a "Group" component, so there is perhaps a standard in place for passing the group information to an LTI tool.

Side note: I couldn't find a way to generate a "fake" submission on behalf of other group members, as a workaround. If anyone knows how to do this I would be very interested!

Surveyor

For TurnItIn specifically, group assignments will be available "soon" if the institution is using the new Plagiarism Framework integration (currently in beta for TII). We're in the beta testing group for this, and will deploy TII in the Plagiarism Framework after the Spring term ends (June 2018). I wish I could link to a document about the group assignments feature, but I have only heard this by conference call so far. The ETA was for this month, if you're using the PF.

Learner II

I have a notion that this is as much - if not more - for the external tool developers as for Instructure to make happen.

Surveyor II

Is this out now? Is this an extra cost module?

Adventurer

h.carmichael@qub.ac.ukj.avneri@qub.ac.uk‌ Hey Joe/Helen, I saw this idea and thought it a great one especially when considering group assignments that require similarity reports through the TII LTI. Although rake.9@osu.edu's comment above is worth noting, so please up vote if you think this is an idea #qub‌ would like to support.

Cheers, 
m.mccooey@qub.ac.uk

Surveyor II

Any news about the new plagiarism framework?

Learner II

I would like this option for group assignments for FlipGrid. This would help make video discussions in larger classes more engaging for students. 

Surveyor

People have been pushing this for a few years now, it seems. 

I'd love to do this with a Google Course Kit assignment, have students collaborate on a single doc, but turn it in as a group. The interesting thing is that you can do this fairly easily if you force a copy of a separate file in GDocs, and then they can just send you a link to the document. Strange then, that it can't be done built into Canvas.

Community Member

I would also love to have group assignments on FlipGrid. This will make lab presentations work much more fluidly now that we are on remote learning.