[Gradebook] Add Gradebook Entry without Creating an Assignment

0 Likes
(7)

I think there should be a way to add a Gradebook entry without creating an assignment so a teacher can post a grade for something they don't want to appear on the student's To Do list or assignments list like a grade for class participation which is not really an assignment. I could do this in my old Haiku gradebook by adding a Miscellaneous gradebook entry. I would love to be able to do this in my Canvas gradebook.

4 Comments
swynn
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Gregory_Putman
Community Participant

I absolutely agree.  Add entries into the grade book that don't show up in student views, have more freedom over what is seen or not seen by students.  I'd even love to have the ability to add some rudimentary custom calculations like I used to be able to do in WebCT/Vista (circa 2007) to reduce back and forth between Excel and the grade book (will be adding this as an idea if there isn't already one that I'm missing).

MiguelMontanez
Community Explorer

Excellent idea. I tried creating a "dummy" non-graded assignment entry just to create a new "column" in the grade book. Unfortunately, I must "publish" the assignment in order to populate the column. I frequently use the "dummy" indicators as a tracking mechanism. 

Thank you for your time and consideration. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.