How do I turn off automatic formatting in Canvas announcements?

0 Likes

I'm writing a list of topics in a Canvas announcement.  Canvas insists on turning it into a bulleted list.  I don't want one.  No matter what I try, Canvas turns what I type into a bulleted list.

If I really wanted a bulleted list, I'd use one.  There's a button on the palette for that.

Generally, I dislike all automatic formatting and would like to be in control, rather than Canvas.

Does anyone have a solution?  I searched for similar questions and found nothing.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

7 Comments
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi, @cantvas!

I've never heard of someone experiencing anything like that before. It sounds like buggy behavior. Does the same issue happen if you use a different browser or in a different announcement? If so, I'd recommend reaching out to Canvas Support so they can investigate further. 

Naomi

cantvas
Community Participant

Thanks.  I didn't consider that it might be a bug, so I didn't try the usual steps: different browser, clearing cache and cookies, etc.

I solved the problem by opening the html editor (using the button with </> ) and editing the lines that looked different (I don't know html but it was easy to guess).

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @cantvas -

Are you using the regular Announcements format or Announcements Redesign? This is more of a curiosity in case we hear others with the same experience.

How do I use Announcements Redesign as an instructor? 

cantvas
Community Participant

@KristinL : I was using the regular Announcements format.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @cantvas  - Since you posted, has this behavior persisted or has it cleared up? Did you collaborate with Support? Let us know how things are going and then the Community Team can determine a direction for this idea. Thank you!

cantvas
Community Participant

@KristinL 

This behavior hasn't repeated or persisted.  Thanks for asking.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived