Include Rating Descriptions in Rubric When Grading With Canvas Teacher

0 Likes
(3)

I was so excited when I saw how easily I could mark-up papers using my tablet and pen--but once I finished writing comments on the paper, I was devastated to discover that I couldn't actually *grade* the paper on the tablet: none of the descriptors were visible, and the grade range option was removed. This means I'm having to use both my tablet *and* my laptop to mark, and I'm essentially having to mark every paper twice. It shouldn't be this difficult. The rubric should appear in the mobile app exactly as it does in the website.

19 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

rseilham
Community Champion

@kyh802,

From my experience, the rubric feature is available in the Canvas Teacher app and includes support for descriptions and grade range. 

To view the short rating summary you need to long-press on each number. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Teacher-iOS-Guide/How-do-I-grade-an-assignment-submission-...

Hope this helps. 

   

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kyh802 In light of the existing functionality, we've archived this idea. If you continue to experience issues with seeing the grade range option when grading through the Canvas Teacher app, please ask Canvas Support to investigate on your behalf (How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?)

kyh802
Community Explorer

I'm afraid it *didn't* help, @rseilham, though it ought to have! That seems to be available for the iOs version, but there's nothing like it for android, as far as I can tell. @Stef_retired, should it be changed back to Moderated then? Or is there an android answer for this?

kyh802
Community Explorer

I just looked at the android directions (https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Teacher-Android-Guide/How-do-I-grade-an-assignment-submiss...) and there is no option to see the rubric descriptions. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @kyh802 - Are you referring to the Long Description in the rubric? If so, yes, that's correct. I can't see that with my Android either. However, I can tap-hold and get the criterion description.

kyh802
Community Explorer

Thanks, @KristinL The criterion description isn't enough for me--To decide which rating a paper deserves, I need to see the descriptions of what elements cause a paper to fall into which rating.  

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kyh802 and @KristinL Thank you for taking the time to talk this through! We've applied a slight edit to the idea title so that it aligns with the discussion, and have moved it forward for further discussion.

kyh802
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired Thanks so much!

kyh802
Community Explorer

Working on grading again, I've also noticed that the Android version of Canvas Teacher doesn't allow comments to be made within the rubric like the web does--that's another thing that would be nice to be able to do.

a1063023
Community Explorer

When grading in the SpeedGrader with a rubric through the Canvas web interface, you can add comments to individual lines of a rubric:

5DDD0BCF-4629-487E-9982-9819D690C380.jpeg
This is one of the best ways to provide feedback to a student because you can comment exactly on the strengths and weaknesses of their work in the same place as you are awarding the mark. 

In the iOS Teacher app, it is not possible to provide comments here:

54825CBE-437F-4DCD-B739-CC36120AA00A.jpeg
This reduces the usefulness of the Teacher app significantly for marking, despite the utility of the native pencil support for annotation. 

a1063023
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired  — this conversation is about grading ranges and descriptions, not adding free form comments along with the rubric entries. Totally fine to create a mega-entry that is about the iOS rubric interface, but the title of this discussion doesn’t match my post. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kyh802 Existing ideas don't always exactly match newer ones that come in; we added yours here because it would be part of the work involved in enhancing rubric functionality in Canvas Teacher. This is the relevant part of the description: "The rubric should appear in the mobile app exactly as it does in the website"—and it's not a stretch to add the free form commenting capability to this project.

a1063023
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired — Sorry if my message came across as negative -- I agree with you, and makes sense to bundle them together! If it's possible to update the idea title to capture the broader discussion, I think that would help in case others come looking with a similar problem. E.g., something like "Rubric interface in Teacher app should match functionality of web interface"... 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@a1063023 It's not our practice to edit idea titles or descriptions after they've been available for comment for some time. That said, please rest assured that the mobile product team reads not only the title but also the full description and all of the comments under every idea with the goal of arriving at a solution that encompasses as much of the feedback as possible. Thanks for your help with this!

a1063023
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired — no worries, thanks for the reassurance 🙂 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.