cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Quizzes: Allow use of turnitin

New Quizzes: Allow use of turnitin

(43)

When using the new quiz app for a take home exam, it would be good to allow the use of turnitin to monitor any inappropriate collusion on essay questions. 

27 Comments
Community Team
Community Team

browning339l@cm.utexas.edu‌, we've modified the title of your idea so that it now reads "New Quizzes" instead of  "new quiz app." If that's not what you meant by "new quiz app," please let us know. Smiley Happy

Navigator II

If the ability to quickly download all essay questions in a format that could be uploaded into turnitin (or other plagiarism scanners) would help you, you may also be interested in https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15635-download-essay-questions Also, setting up a process for such a download may eventually make partner integrations like this one more feasible.

Surveyor

In times like this, we hope the New Quizzes function will permit Turnitin.com to be used for all essays. Please get this changed so we can help ensure students are providing their own work and learning the importance of academic integrity. 

Surveyor

Yes we have been asked about this several times especially in response to digital assessments replacing exams due to COVID. This is especially for Essay questions in New Quizzes

Adventurer

It would be very helpful if there was an option to allow checking of essay answers, or uploaded quiz files to Turnitin/text-matching software. Using a quiz would also have the benefit of giving a timer/timed countdown for submission. 

Surveyor

Yes! Please build the plagiarism detector for file uploads into quizzes! Quizzes allow for a) timed test-taking and b) random selection from a test bank, and c) a file upload. So "assignments" don't have 2 of those 3 features, and from what I can tell, quizzes lack vericite or turnitin or whatever plagiarism-detector box you can check on assignments. Students' file uploads to quizzes need to be checked against each other, past courses, and sometimes internet sources. Please make this available! Thank you!

Surveyor

Comopletely agree with this idea. I need exactly this function for the course I will be teaching in September. Examination has to go online and this Quiz (with essay questions checked for plagiarism) would be the perfect option to avoid fraude while offering a proper exam.

Is is realistic that this will be there soon? Should I request this? First proposal seems to be made at the end of last year.

Adventurer

It's hard to see how we are meant to 'vote' this up @canvas ?? Is it just clicking on the stars? Is that the new voting mechanism? 

Surveyor

I also need a plagiarism checker for canvas quizzes. We have turnitin--it should be connected to essay answers on quiz. I also don't get the response about how to vote. 

Adventurer

@mrh - i think clicking on the 'stars' is the new voting. 

@Reindert95  - I have no idea. Ideally, Canvas & Turnitin need to talk? Not sure who's side the responsibility it is for this kind of integration. HOWEVER! noticed on the Turnitin page that there is now integrity checker on Moodle quizzes - https://help.turnitin.com/release-notes/integrity-all-release-notes.htm#all-updates

So maybe it's coming?  @canvasb any thoughts on this?