[New Quizzes] individual rubric for each essay question

(15)
Our old CMS allows us to attach a rubric to an essay question in a quiz, that is, applying a rubric at the question level. We were able to assign each essay question its own rubric if need to. I would love to see that in Canvas!

63 Comments
caottinger
Community Novice

This would be really helpful when there are mixed questions on a quiz.  It would also help with student feedback and aligning their scores with evidence.

stevec
Community Contributor

It makes no sense to me to have an overall rubric for a test. From a grading perspective, it's so much easier to show students what they've done correctly/incorrectly in each question rather than in the whole quiz. This should be a very high priority. 

mason_cash
Community Novice

This is very important.  Not just for essay type questions, though.  students need feedback, not just a number, and the rubric would enable some details to be quickly selected without having to write detailed comments.

A file upload question could benefit from adding a rubric for each question.

whitney_clay
Community Contributor

How do I get an update on the status of this feature?

Comment from Instructure above:

September 2016 update from Mccall Smith

We are very confident this will be part of our new quizzing engine.

This feature is crucial for what my students who are learning to paraphrase.  I need to tell them WHY they get full credit or partial credit.  Is it in their own voice?  Did it merely swap in synonyms?  Does it make sense?  Is the idea accurately expresses?

mpurzycki
Community Novice

So Sept 2016 was a year ago, why is this feature not available yet, could really use this today, for my test.

cunninghas1
Community Novice

Any idea when this will be implemented?  Question rubrics help ensure fast, consistent, and fair grading of essay questions.  It is a must-have feature!

cunninghas1
Community Novice

OK, so we are way past that 6 month mark.  Will it be here soon???

jonesn16
Community Champion

I've looked at quizzes.next, and it mentions a Notes field for grading essays. Are there plans to expand that Notes field to accommodate a full-blown rubric?

ryan_peters
Community Novice

I have to agree with the comments made here. Is there any progress with this feature? Can somebody confirm that it will be available in the new LTI? Using rubrics for marking constructed response assessments such as essays or file uploads is really a must feature. 

kstack
Community Contributor

This would be so helpful for me!!! I hope it moves forward!

renniscantwell
Community Member

Wheeeennnnnn????? When, when, when?

krhughes
Community Novice

It is not reasonable for a test to be implemented as 2 assignments: a Quiz for the multiple choice section AND a separate Canvas assignment for the essay -- this is what we have to do if we want to grade an essay question with a rubric. This is silly! We need rubrics for essay questions, specially when aligning grades with other teachers. Please can you add this feature.

stevec
Community Contributor

COME ON, people!!! We're tasked with assessment of our Departments at EVERY college in Washington. That means we need to collect data on individual questions on tests. I can't collect data unless I have rubrics that relate back to the individual questions. This issue needs to be prioritized!

Solution 1: (Not the best) A "master rubric" for all questions in a test, so that all are ranked the same.

Solution 2: (Better) Individualized rubrics that allow for the ranking of each question according to customized criteria.

I can't do my job until you fix this!!!! Do not make the Gods of Assessment angry!!! 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

dcarolin
Community Member

Really hope this feature gets added soon.  Schoology has had it for three years now....

kbink
Community Contributor

I have an instructor that gives feedback for essay questions that don't get full points.  She uses a rubric, but that tiny window for comments is just so NOT easy to use to put in a scored rubric results when it is a long essays answer.

jbeyer1
Community Participant

I really need a rubric because we use "quizzes" for our lab answer sheets.  This feature is currently available in Blackboard and something we use all of the time.  Please, oh please include in quizzes next. I would also love it if the rubric would allow percentages as well.

kpoff
Community Novice

I was surprised to hear from the costumer service agent that rubric scores will transfer if the rubric is used to score an assignment.  It sounds like this feature is already available and just needs to be activated for quizzes. 

sagarseek
Community Novice

I just saw this idea represented perfectly in GradeScope from turnitin here: GradeScope Per Question Rubrics. I would love to see this added soon!

timothy_maw
Community Champion

This is something that just came up for us. We had an instructor looking to have a different rubric for each question in a quiz so they could use a quiz as a way to grade a final skill assessment. We ended up having to come up with a work around instead.