[New Quizzes] individual rubric for each essay question

(15)
Our old CMS allows us to attach a rubric to an essay question in a quiz, that is, applying a rubric at the question level. We were able to assign each essay question its own rubric if need to. I would love to see that in Canvas!

63 Comments
jbeyer1
Community Participant

Hi Tim,

Just curious, what was your workaround? Mine was to include the rubic as part of the question.  

Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

You may want to refer to my blog post Hidden Gems: Working with Rubrics in New Quizzes‌ for more details on rubrics in New Quizzes.

(Be sure to turn off the points to avoid point issues.)

rachel_ozanne
Community Novice

Please make this option available! Professors in the humanities and social sciences who use essay exams need to be able to upload their rubrics and grade by rubric for online exams, too.

milesl
Community Contributor

With Rubrics becoming more visible in the 4/18 release, it would be great to see this functionality built out at the same time so that instructors have a compelling new reason to use rubrics (and new quizzes)!

iullah
Community Explorer

Please add this feature, or at the very least the ability to grade quizzes via a rubric. How else are we supposed to effectively grade essay questions on a quiz? 

maryellen_wolfi
Community Novice

My quizzes are often a mixture of selected response questions and constructed response.  I like students to see the rubric that is being used to grade their constructed (essay) questions and it would make it easier for me to grade and provide feedback.

ryan_corris
Community Contributor

@Kelvin_Dean , the Hidden Gems post you mention and Hidden Gems: Working with SpeedGrader in New Quizzes, Part 1‌ helped me accomplish much of what I wanted to do.  Thanks!

What I found is that if I create my rubric and each criteria description actually relates to a question on the quiz, I can grade specific questions based on the rubric.  If there are 3 essay questions, I create a rubric with 4 criteria.  One criteria for each essay question, and the fourth criteria is for the points received for the automatically graded objective questions.  Adding the fourth criteria in this case does not mess up the overall points for the quiz.  Once you get into SpeedGrader, enter the points for the objective questions in criteria four of the rubric.  Then grade each of the other three questions using the rubric to total up all of the points for the quiz.  I would love to know if this works for  @quz2  or anyone else that is wanting to do something like this.

quz2
Community Participant

I guess this would accommodate a wider range of essay question designs. Our LMS does not have New Quizzes so I can't test it. If the instructor is not forced to enter the additional criterion or if the added criterion is named "default" and can be deleted or replaced then it would not be confusing. In addition, the tool should allow each essay question to have its unique set of criteria (similar to the current rubric tool). Imagine there are three essay questions on the same case analysis and each has a different set of expectations. 

buford_5
Community Member

I would love this.  The educational value of rubric is unquestionable.  it would speed grading and make it more consistent.  It would also standardize scoring for common mistakes.  i find it tedious to put in the point vaue as full marks for essay questions where the majority of students get full points and the mistakes tend to fall into certain categories.

pjwatson
Community Novice

I do not understand why the feature of providing individual rubrics to some questions is not an option.  For those exams which are mixed format, it profoundly more efficient.  It would require little in programming to add this feature to individual essay questions, especially since this was a feature at one time.

rahyuscc
Community Member

Any update? When will this be available?

jessmeyer
Community Member

Now that canvas is being used more widely this is incredibly necessary.  I have over 100 students who write at least twice a week -- I have to grade each short answer with the rubric I have attached and then manually update the points for them in the "quiz" window.  That's an incredible waste of my time.  Please move this to the top of your development queue.

rnewton5
Community Participant

Would love to see individual rubrics at the question level.

rcordeiro1
Community Participant

Any updates on this idea? Would be incredibly helpful. I like the idea of making a rubric for each question in the quiz, but when you do pooled questions from a bank, you can't do this. I also want a rubric for fill in the blank, numeric, and multiple choice! Feedback happens on all of those question types, not only Essays.

akoch
Community Explorer

I would like to be able to grade essay questions using a rubric. It would need to be a rubric that the students couldn't see until after the submitted the assignment; preferably a teacher could control if the student got to see the rubric immediately or after the teacher graded it. Perhaps there could even be an option for students to self-grade or peer-grade using the rubric. 

jmfelder
Community Member

This would be great!!!

huddlestonm
Community Member

Not having question-level rubrics influences my choice of assessment type. The technology shouldn't get in the way of student-centered approaches to design.

mprinzing1
Community Explorer

Yes, please! I would like this a lot!

timothyherzog
Community Novice

What is the status of this request.  It is critical to be able to use rubrics when quizzes are graded by multiple instructors.  

dspiel
Community Participant

Sad that this hasn't already been completed as just like having an extra credit checkbox for all assignments this should have always been part of Canvas.