Quizzes.Next should work with Lockdown Browser or Proctorio

(9)
Comments from Instructure

We're keeping this idea in On Beta status to reflect that there are two separate requests. Specifically, requests for Lockdown Browser and Proctorio are combined in the idea description, and we have completed the Lockdown Browser request.

Quizzes.Next needs to allow us to require Lockdown Browser or Proctorio to take the Quiz we make in that feature. I can't use this feature without either. 

This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26937-canvas-release-notes-2020-07-18 

50 Comments
timothy_maw
Community Champion

This is one of those things that is keeping us from using Quizzes.Next at all. I hope this is being worked on.

cpadavano
Community Contributor

The huge reason Quizzes.Next doesn't work with online procotring tools is password encryption. That should be updated then you should be able to use any proctoring tool. 

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Actually, cpadavano , Quizzes.Next still does not work with Respondus Lockdown Browser. Learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/22267-quizzes-lti-and-lockdown-browser 

Kelley

cpadavano
Community Contributor

@kmeeusen ‌ I was just stating the reason QN doesn't work with Lockdown Browser from what I have heard from my tech team. If a password cannot be encrypted by the quiz program, the proctoring tools cannot use it and students will be able to share acces to the quiz. It is probably not the only reason, but it is a BIG reason.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Thank you for the clarification, cpadavano , I thought I had missed something new!

I don't really care what the cause is, I just know that for us, this is a deal-breaker on adoption of Q.N. Not the only deal breaker, but an important one.

Kelley

cpadavano
Community Contributor

For sure. We want quiz features in legacy quizzes because we cannot use QN with our proctoring tools (lockdown, RPNow, ProctorU, etc.) but all feature updates have been pushed to QN so we are sitting in limbo...Hope something will get updated soon.

jtedders
Community Explorer

Our Nursing program has to be able to use the Lockdown Browser for their quizzes. We cannot move to Quizzes.Next without this feature.

ryan_peters
Community Novice

Like others in this thread, we are unable to even consider QN until this (and some other features) has been addressed. QN looks great, which makes it a little frustrating Smiley Happy

viktoriya_oliyn
Community Novice

According to the University of Minnesota website, Proctorio should work with Quizzes.Next https://it.umn.edu/canvas-add-proctorio-quiz  Does anyone have more information about this? Would someone from Canvas weigh in? 

milesl
Community Contributor

I was chatting with someone at instructurecon last week who brought up a similar constraint, and framed the challenge more generally as: Quizzes.next is an LTI, and LTIs can not be embedded within other LTIs. Is that the core issue here?

timothy_maw
Community Champion

I hope this is not the issue. Something would have to change then if this is the case, either how LTIs interact with each other or how Quizzes.next is built. 

kbink
Community Contributor

Sorry, I think it's been updated since then.  It only ever worked with the old quiz tool (Quizzes Now we are calling it!).  We will also need proctorio or respondus lockdown to use New Quizzes.

kbink
Community Contributor

I was never sure why they chose to make this an LTI.  I think that is the core issue.  

timothy_maw
Community Champion

@kbink ‌ me neither. It does not make sense to me to create an LTI rather than make something that already integrates in to what you currently have. I really would've have rather had legacy quizzes improved rather than they start from scratch to make a brand new product personally. 

kurt_sys
Community Member

More than 1 year old, still no updates on this. It doesn't make sense. It is a core feature, so if Canvas fails to integrate this, I don't want to know how they designed it. Sorry to say so, but if it takes more than a year to implement a absolute basic feature, something is seriously wrong. Find a workaround, or improve the current quizes. Don't bring something in that lacks a basic feature. (If our students, applied informatics, do things like this, they just don't pass their exams/projects: you never deploy something in production that lacks what people expect to work. Period. You don't.)

My frustration: I have added over 1000 questions in quizes.next - I like quizes.next of quizes2 - over a few months, only to find out, one week before an examination, that it doesn't work with the lockdown browser. In no place, there's a warning or anything that even slightly hints towards the fact that it might not work in the lockdown browser.

So here we go (again) with Canvas: is this user tested? What were the results of the user tests? (How much I am pushing lecturers to use Canvas extensively, even more so I'm getting frustrated with all these things that lack basic feature, or that they don't work as expected, or even work, just don't work. So please, do proper user tests, stop deploying unfinished features or at least inform people about what doesn't work as might be expected.)

kurt_sys
Community Member

Well, starting from scratch, fine, if it has at least the same features as the other product. In this case, how much I like the idea, it sucks big time - see my comment below :smileysilly: and many other issues it has (full export of results? easy editing of many questions? ...?)

Steven_S
Community Champion

I too found out about this missing feature by surprise when I submitted a ticket asking for an improved integration between lockdown browser and old quizzes.  It never occurred to me that they would even start a beta test for new-quizzes without such an essential function.  I won't be "migrating" to the new quizzes until it works with (or replaces the function of) lockdown browser.  It is that simple.  Cheating is too prevalent, and while Lockdown browser is not without flaws, it is an important step in the right direction. 

The solution is in progress, however!  Progress can be tracked in a list all the way at the bottom of the new quizzes user group page: https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/quizzes 

karisaboyer
Community Novice

No test security if students can go to other windows/ websites.  Love the "Lockdown Browser" feature that is with regular quizzes but with the new quizzes, this is not an option.  I like the new styles of questions in the new quizzes section but don't feel like it's a good idea to use until I can "lock it down" during testing.

kgannon
Community Novice

Our Nursing program really needs some of the new testing features, but Quizzes Next is useless to us if we can't lock down browsers. We are definitely discussing this internally as we strongly consider moving to a different LMS (we've had plenty of other issues with Canvas as well). If this isn't fixed soon (as in spring 2020), I don't see how we'll have any further use for Canvas. It's increasingly difficult for me to advocate for Canvas when such basic features are missing and seemingly go unaddressed. This issue appears to be active in the forums for nearly two years already. What gives?

thomas_claeys
Community Explorer

Any news on this? Would come in real handy during this real life 'lockdown' situation that is going on at the moment Smiley Wink .