Separate "Forgot Password URLs" per authentication service

0 Likes

Currently the admin Authentication page only has one "Forgot Password URL" input box that applies to ALL authentication services (same URL for each login web page such as for /login/saml or /login/ldap or /login/canvas). 

While we have SAML and LDAP configured, we also have the local Canvas login (/login/canvas)/non-SIS imported users for special cases where the user accounts can only be local user accounts as we cannot create the accounts to work with our SAML or LDAP.  But the problem is that the "Forgot Password URL" link points to the link that is only for resetting the password for our SAML or LDAP type of accounts.  I need the local Canvas users to use the built-in Canvas email reset way to reset their password as shown here: 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Student-Guide/How-do-I-reset-my-password-as-a-student/ta-p/409

Please separate the "Forgot Password URL" links so that we can set different links per each authentication method.

Also, it would be nice if as an Admin I could reset the password for local Canvas accounts via an email sent to the user without explicitly setting a password for them.

Thank you!

Michael D. Ward

Canvas System Administrator

Rancho Santiago Community College District

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@ward_michael 

Thanks for sharing this idea. The problem statement posed here is similar to what's described in Password Change for non-SIS users. Do you agree? If so, we can merge your idea into the comments section of that conversation, so please let us know.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ward_michael 

Just a reminder that we're looking forward to hearing the results of your evaluation of the above-linked existing conversation. Does it encompass what you're hoping to see? Please let us know.

Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived