cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show more classes in Calendar

Show more classes in Calendar

This request is to allow additional classes to be shown in the calendar view. Right now, with a cap of only 10, it is not possible to have the calendar show all classes from all terms. Our terms are consecutive (for example, a term ends at the end of September, with a new term starting at the beginning of October). For faculty and students to have a complete picture of the schedule from one week to the next, they need to ability to view at least 14-16 courses on the calendar at a time. This is also useful when building the course calendar, so that there is not a constant need to change which courses are selected to be visible. Having this option will not increase clutter for anyone (because they can choose to select only the number of calendars they want to see), and will greatly increase usability for those who need to see additional calendars.
(6)
59 Comments
Community Coach
Community Coach

If memory serves me right, there was a feature request three years ago to find a way to limit the numbers of courses displayed in the calendar, and the current status is the result of that feature being acted upon by Instructure!

Community Member

We just moved to Canvas. My idea is to allow users to select any calendars they want to display. We have 6-7 classes every term and can't even see 2 terms worth of classes. However, if others want to display fewer calendars, they can just select fewer (I'm not sure why there needs to be a limit of 10 when anyone can just opt to show the ones they want to see).

Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you for your submission, ggd356​. I think this may have to do with not cluttering the user-interface. However, would you mind expanding on this idea further by adding a use-case scenario? Why would it be necessary to view two terms worth of classes simultaneously? Perhaps some additional insight will prove helpful in putting this idea into greater context. Smiley Happy

Looking forward to your feedback.

Community Member

Hi Biray,

Our students have up to 16 required courses in Canvas per semester, and they would like to be able to see all of their upcoming assignments at once. Perhaps the default view could include 10 courses but also allow students to select more classes if they want.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you for your clarification jill.weddle@uth.tmc.edu​.

Just curious: if a student pulls the calendar feed into, say, a google calendar (How do I subscribe to the Calendar Feed using Google Calendar?​) will all 16 courses show up there?

Community Team
Community Team

You're idea will open for voting in September.  Please do test the work-around Biray recommended and let us know if it works.

Community Member

I can see additional courses in Outlook (not sure about google), but our students, for the most part, do not have Outlook. From my end, I still can't edit them conveniently if I can't see them all in Canvas at the same time.

Community Member

I would very much like to see this feature also.  I am a teacher, but I am also the parent of two children in our school.  I cannot view my classes as well as their classes.  It would actually be nice it there was a way to toggle between the views of the kids, but as it is everything shows up in my calendar altogether.  That is fine, I have color-coded both of my kids, but I cannot see all of the classes for them and for me as I am only limited to 10.  Since we can choose which classes to include anyway, it seems like it would be a no-brainer to let us choose all that are available or just some according to our preference.  Thanks for considering!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Ah, that's an interesting point keastin@randolphschool.net​. I hadn't thought about teachers who were also observers of their students (kids) within the same Canvas instance. That would be a lot of course calendars! Smiley Happy

Community Member

This idea is now open for voting! 😉