cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special language character panel/chart integration for Rich Content Editor

Special language character panel/chart integration for Rich Content Editor

Faculty at our institution would like the integration of a special language character panel or chart into the Rich Content Editor. They feel it would be easier for students than the current methods of typing or copy/pasting special characters into their assignments and discussions. They feel it would also be easier for teachers of language courses to give feedback if special characters were more easily accessible in that way.
(1)
89 Comments
Community Member

As someone whose classes use the International Phonetic Alphabet, I can see why this would be useful!

In the meantime, some of my students have found this website helpful: TypeIt - Type accent marks, diacritics and foreign letters online

Community Team
Community Team

This feature idea is now open for voting.

Surveyor

Hi Beth.Young@ucf.edu​,

Thanks so much for the tip on TypeIt!

Bridget

Community Member

I think this would totally make our jobs easier, and the students would be less lost.

Great idea!

Thanks

Community Member

Students will definitely benefit from this feature, adding the accents has always been a concern. This will facilitate matters to both instructors and students.

Fantastic idea!

Community Member

Beth,

I will try out the site you mention.  Thanks,

Maria

Community Member

Absolutely necessary for many languages over than English in all universities. Add this feature as soon as possible for faculty and students! For campus and online courses. Thanks!

Community Member

Not to detract from the original intent, but on both Macs and PCs, it is entirely possible to set up a foreign language keyboard, and even switch rapidly between languages. The key placement is not much different for romance languages; on languages with other alphabets (Russian, Korean), you wouldn't want to hunt and peck from a character map anyway, would you?

As a regular user of other languages, I still can't figure out why this would be preferential.  😕  (sorry)

Community Team
Community Team

Hi cwendt@plymouth.k12.in.us​,

Thank you for sharing your perspective.  A big part of the feature idea process is helping us to prioritize how to utilize engineering resources.  An idea doesn't necessarily have to be 'bad' in order to not be as good of an idea as something else.  If you think this would be a poor use of resources, relative to the other ideas presented here for vote, please consider down voting.

Thanks,

SD

Community Member

Thanks for the insight. Put into perspective like that, I will downvote as I do think it would, compared to other ideas, be a very poor use of resources.

It's simply unnecessary—all modern computers have this capability built in. I cannot understand how language teachers are not using it since it's right at their fingertips. It would be like having to use a code or character map every time you needed a question mark or period in English.