Symbol to indicate an assignment is completely graded for all students

(1)

Currently, the gradebook view for your entire class does not indicate when you have inserted a grade for each student. I believe there should be a symbol (maybe a checkmark) that appears at the top of the grade book grid for each assignment to indicate to the teacher that you have finished grading that assignment. It would make sense for it to be up by the title of the assignment. Otherwise, you have to search up and down the entire grade book grid to see if you have any ungraded assignments.

21 Comments
amclean
Community Novice

This is a great idea!

apatterson
Community Novice

Love this idea!

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @pdalsky ​

Currently, Canvas will alert faculty on the To-Do list for ungraded Discussion submissions, online assignment submissions, and quizzes with hand-graded items.

Also, this is just one of the reasons why I greatly prefer grading from SpeedGrader, the student list will clearly delineate submissions, ungraded and graded students by assignment. Very handy, and you can even sort to display each category grouped together.  You can learn more at What is SpeedGrader?

I hope this helps,

KLM

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Spot on Kelley! That is one of the many reasons I love Speedgrader!

I can also see the value of being able to quickly, at a glance, review the gradebook to see which assignments still have ungraded work. This would be especially helpful in courses with a LOT of assignments and also ones that have tons of students. Instead of having to scroll through a bit list to see all student submissions, the notation at the top would be a great visual indicator for teachers! Neat idea  @pdalsky 

Learn more about the feature idea process and how to champion your idea.

Your feature idea will be open for vote from Wed. November 2, 2016 - Wed. February 1, 2017. Smiley Wink

I could see something like this ⬇︎ being super helpful! (obv the image is not realistic b/c those three assignments don't have all submissions graded Smiley Wink

Gradebook - Community Examples 2016-10-13 15-53-29.png

cholling
Community Champion

I, too, love this idea. Thanks  @pdalsky ​

pdalsky
Community Member

Jordan,

That's what I had in mind!

-Paul

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi Paul, that would be an awesome addition as Jordan described it, and it would provide a neat snapshot view for the instructor!

I didn't mention in my first response that I supported your idea, as I was focused on providing you with existing options, but I do support this and will vote for it.

KLM

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 2, 2016 - Wed. February 1, 2017.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

pdalsky
Community Member

This suggestion is officially open for voting! The goal is to get to at least 100 votes before February 1, 2017 so Canvas will develop and implement something like this. Please share with anyone who might be interested in this feature!

-Paul

scain
Community Contributor

Additionally, it might be beneficial to have all 'checked' columns automatically shift to the far-right end of the grade book? Or have it be a filter option? The more we can eliminate horizontal scrolling the better :smileysilly:

pdalsky
Community Member

Almost half way there! If you have a minute, try sharing with your Canvas-using co-workers and see if they would find this feature useful!

-Paul

garth
Community Champion

If Canvas is going to work on this idea, having the option to toggle "Completed Assignments" would be helpful, i.e. hide or show assignemnts that have been completely graded, as it would reduce the noise and allow instructors to more easily focus on the incomplete assignments.

ht901
Community Novice

I would love this for teachers and students. To have the completed alert and graded alert. Then have it in a different tab of completed course assignments and uncompleted.

ageiger-fields
Community Novice

I love this idea. I think it would be extremely helpful for entering in paper assignments that are not submitted on Canvas.

ssauer
Community Novice

This is a really great idea!

kari
Community Contributor

This idea is fantastic! It might also be beneficial if there was a flag on the total column that it calculated all columns and rows. That way at the end of the grading period the teacher can be a little more confident that all has been graded or they need to go back and review their grade book. Just a thought. 

amclean
Community Novice

He is most of the way done with his test. He has questions 9-12 to finish. I’ll talk to him in lab tomorrow about finishing it 4th,5th, or 6th.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

pdalsky
Community Member

I'm revisiting this idea again because it's now open for voting again! If you voted for this originally, please consider passing it along to co-workers for consideration. I would love to see it gain some more support and possibly move into Canvas' future plans.

rfields
Community Member

I think Speedgrader is wonderful, especially when you're grading an assignment that was submitted via Word, or Docs, or some other digital format, but for on-paper assignments, it is still monumentally easier and quicker to input the grades all at once after finishing grading the papers, and the gradebook is where that would be done the most efficiently.  So, I'm all for a symbol indicating all grades are completed for an assignment!