View as Particular Student

0 Likes
(1)

Can we please be given the ability to view our course as a particular student? This is extremely helpful when responding to parental concerns regarding missing assignments. It enables us to take a screenshot and send it to the parents.

7 Comments
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Hi @Hrypassmore,

By default, the Users - Act as permission is not enabled for instructors. However, if your school feels it appropriate, they could create a custom role for you that has that permission enabled. I'd recommend reaching out to your school's Canvas Admin to discuss your request.

To learn more about the Users - Act as permission, check out Canvas Account Role Permissions (page 43) and How do I act as another user in an account? 

Naomi

hesspe
Community Champion

@Naomi @Hrypassmore The Act As permission is an Account role permission, meant to operate at the account level.  It is not going to be appropriate to give a Teacher an Admin/Account level role in most cases.  If the Act As permission could be assigned to a course role, such as Teacher, THEN the solution you suggest could be applied, but it does not.  This represents either a lack of understanding of how Canvas roles and permissions work or a lack of understanding of how Canvas Admins organize their Canvas sites on the part of the  Community Team.

Hrypassmore
Community Novice
Author

Please allow a teacher to view our course as a particular student, different from the current Act as student setting, we would just like to be able to view the course as a student (not edit or track) to view how grades and feedback are presented  as well as other areas.  This helps when helping parents with what their child is seeing or what they are seeing from the observer role. 

Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

@Hrypassmore,

What @hesspe is true; that setting up a custom account level role for an instructor is not typical for most Canvas accounts - but may be a workaround if your Canvas admin feels it appropriate. That said, I've opened this idea for conversation so others can rate your idea and add their thoughts. 

Naomi

astev141
Community Novice

It would be really awesome to be able to act as a student to submit assessment on their behalf when they have emailed you their task. At the moment, we are able to grade via the 'criteria' sheet, but not able to put their responses in. 

Acting as a student would also allow us as teachers to be able to help the students to navigate around canvas, and see canvas as they see it, especially in the ipad version of the application. 

I am a sub-level admin account user, and cannot do this, as you need to be a root admin account user. 

Andrew42
Community Member

This would be of substantial benefit to our teachers and would save them having to contact us in support then wait to achieve the same thing.

I don't mention this as an option to them because I know it would be frustrating for them to know it's an option, but be denied its due to the security concerns of providing Act As to teaching staff who can then act as admins etc.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.