cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Do families need to have a Guest Pass for InstCon 2017?

Jump to solution

My big questions is the cost of three guest passes for my wife and 2 boys to tag along with me would be almost $1200, not to mention the out of pocket additional cost of flights and transportation that would (rightfully) not be reimbursed by my institution. seems high for the seven meals and event access. So I was wondering if anyone from the conference last year could advise me on if there are other places that they can eat that are accessible and can they still enjoy some of the resort activities with out the guest pass or is it set up that I would pretty much have to get the guest pass for them to not be miserable? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Matthew!

I wanted to jump in and add some input here to help.  We certainly want you to bring your family as Keystone is an amazing place so why not get in some learning and some vacation at the same time Smiley Happy .  As the gals mentioned there are tons of stuff for the kids to do- all the adventure equipment is bought out by Instructure and you and your families are more than welcome to use it.  We will also be advertising (with Keystone) a kids Science Camp so please stay tuned for more info about that!  As far as the receptions and kids go the ladies also shared some great advice.  We don't mind children coming and they do not need a guest pass but please be respectful of the fact that the food is for the paid conference attendees.  I know kids don't eat a ton (I have two small ones myself) but it does add up and we have to pay for our meals per head!  There are tons of restaurants in the area as well as the condos allow for cooking meals.  Hope that helps and we look forward to seeing you in July!

View solution in original post

22 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

My wife tagged along last year and didn't have the guest pass. We found ample eating options and activities to do without the pass. The pass is only necessary if you want your family to get into the special events and dining options that are for the conference folks. 

Shane

Highlighted
Learner II

Thanks shane.ohara@unh.edu! Before marking this as the correct answer, I would still love to hear from some people that may have brought kids just to make sure I am not missing anything.

Highlighted
Surveyor

I wasn't able to attend last year, but the previous three years I paid for a guest pass for my Mom but not for my daughter. At the time my daughter was 1, 2,  3 years(respectively) and no one questioned her tagging along with us. I will say we never got her an actual plate of food, just fed her what we were eating (off our plates) or something in the room (we had a kitchen). This year my oldest will be 5 and youngest will be almost a year (thus me missing InstructureCon last year!) and I was only planning on getting my Mom a pass, like before, and not either of my girls. As for things to do, I'm not sure about Colorado because we weren't there last year, but from what I've found online it looks like swimming and water activities would be covered by wherever you're staying and not necessarily by paying to attend InstructureCon.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Learner II

Thanks kona@richland.edu! That helps. With my boys being 11 & 7 by the time of the conference, I am not sure they can survive eating off our plates :smileylaugh:. Still wondering if anybody that went to instcon16 with kids could shed light on this question.

Highlighted
Community Member

You might want to contact Keystone directly to confirm, but I think the activities (using the toys on their lake, mainly) are included with your lodging and don't require an InstructureCon pass.

Highlighted
Learner II

I took my daughter (then 5) and my husband with me last year.  I got a guest pass for my husband.  My daughter can't eat the food anyways due to food allergies.  There were lots of restaurants at the resort and a tiny grocery that the shuttle can take you to.  However, it was nice to be able to take them to the concerts and evening activities.  I am pretty sure that the canoes/kayaks/bikes were paid for through the conference.  I'm not sure if they just checked ID and waivers or if you needed to have proof you were with the conference to do that.  The evening festivities were fun - they had pony rides for the kids at the stables one night.  

There were other things to do as well that were keystone resort free activities.  Family nature hike, some other guided hikes, swimming at the hotel, arts and crafts times for the kids.  I think Friday at noon they have free lift rides to top with some activities at the summit. 

Snow tubing at the top was not free but very fun!

Highlighted
Learner II

So millerjm@seminolestate.edu there was no issue with getting your daughter into the Canvas events (concerts/festivities) without a pass?

Highlighted
Learner II

She wasn't eating or drinking anything, so they were OK with it last year. 

It's not like she could have even share off our plates if we wanted her to because she has so many food allergies.  She brought her meals in her lunchbox everywhere she went. 

Highlighted
Surveyor

I have to admit the activities in previous years were always very family friendly and fun and my daughter and my Mom always had a blast! It was also nice to be able to hang around my family (after not seeing them much during the day) and still enjoy the InstructureCon evening activities.