cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjennings
Community Champion

Do families need to have a Guest Pass for InstCon 2017?

Jump to solution

My big questions is the cost of three guest passes for my wife and 2 boys to tag along with me would be almost $1200, not to mention the out of pocket additional cost of flights and transportation that would (rightfully) not be reimbursed by my institution. seems high for the seven meals and event access. So I was wondering if anyone from the conference last year could advise me on if there are other places that they can eat that are accessible and can they still enjoy some of the resort activities with out the guest pass or is it set up that I would pretty much have to get the guest pass for them to not be miserable? 

22 Replies
mjennings
Community Champion

I just remember the "security" being very serious about making sure I had my pass on me (to the point of one time have to hike back to my room and find it even though I was wearing a bunch of Canvas swag) before letting me inside the fence for the activities. Just concerned that that would happen to the kids if we opted to not get passes for them.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Not sure about security in Colorado, but in Utah they didn't even blink as long as said kid was with a pass carrying adult. Yet, my kid was also younger so I'm not sure how much that played into it.

jburrell
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Matthew!

I wanted to jump in and add some input here to help.  We certainly want you to bring your family as Keystone is an amazing place so why not get in some learning and some vacation at the same time Smiley Happy .  As the gals mentioned there are tons of stuff for the kids to do- all the adventure equipment is bought out by Instructure and you and your families are more than welcome to use it.  We will also be advertising (with Keystone) a kids Science Camp so please stay tuned for more info about that!  As far as the receptions and kids go the ladies also shared some great advice.  We don't mind children coming and they do not need a guest pass but please be respectful of the fact that the food is for the paid conference attendees.  I know kids don't eat a ton (I have two small ones myself) but it does add up and we have to pay for our meals per head!  There are tons of restaurants in the area as well as the condos allow for cooking meals.  Hope that helps and we look forward to seeing you in July!

View solution in original post

mjennings
Community Champion

Thanks so much!!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Great information and advice! Thank you!!

millerjm
Community Champion

Hi Jackie,

Would it be ok for a spouse without a guest pass to come to the evening concert/activities if they aren't going to eat any of the meals?

thank you!

Joni

ahardesty
Community Contributor

The snow tubing is great! My boys (13 and 10) loved it!

awarmar
Community Participant

I'd like to know this also--I bought my husband one last year mainly so he could come to the evening things. But it was very expensive considering what we actually got. He didn't always eat the lunch meals since he was out "playing" in the mountains and we stayed at the Inn at Keystone (which doesn't seem to be an option this year, sadly) which provided breakfast so neither of us used the passes for breakfast. We don't drink so he didn't use any drink tickets and since Canvas (understandably) decided to stop giving guest swag, you don't even get that as a "justification" for the money you are spending. $400 bucks for the use we got out of it (granted it was our choice) was extremely expensive  since, in my (and it sounds like others) opinion $400 is a lot even if you do eat and drink all you are permitted on the pass...but I also hate to leave him alone in the room every evening.... 

ahardesty
Community Contributor

I would like to know about this as well. (Thank you  @awarmar  for letting me know about this.)

SchaeferG
Community Participant

Last year my sister and her toddler tagged along (yay for a conference being near where my sister lives!) and she wasn't checked for a pass anywhere, but she also didn't eat anything, and I just split my drink ticket with her (so if there were two drinks per evening, I got one and she got one.) We didn't really take anything that wasn't paid for in my ticket (besides a head at the shows), but I can imagine they might have a different system this year to prevent that. This year, I am bringing my own 7 year old with me, and my sister and nephew are once again joining, and we are debating on the guest ticket. Do guests get the swag that attendees get? (I LOVE my cotopaxi bag!) I see upthread that they do not get the swag. :smileyconfused: It is helpful to know that it's okay to use the paddleboats and all during the day, and we are renting a condo so have cooking facilities (same as we did last year) for those not eating the Canvas meals. It's definitely a pricy ticket to eat with family - I find the conference sessions are worth more than the $200 surplus - especially when family really doesn't care about the general sessions, but are family members tagging along to enjoy a great location. I wish there was a middle ground.

Either way, I am booked and registered and excited for another Instructurecon! (Congrats, Kona, you were missed last year! A great reason to skip, if there ever was one. Smiley Happy )