cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Embedding Content in Canvas, or: How I Learned to Stop Being Bland and Make My Content Amazing

I'm excited to be presenting at InstructureCon 2018. It's one of my very favorite conferences, and this year I get to present a very fun topic: how to embed content into Canvas like a rockstar (or ringmaster). We will discover the latest educational technology products and strategies to improve student experience by bringing teaching to life and fostering a community of learning within the classroom.

Embedding content into Canvas is when you place code from another website into your course content page. This session will showcase educational technology platforms that you can use to enhance your online and blended course content. Learn about the latest developments in the ed tech community and discover a world of free and cheap (with educator discounts) resources. Also, learn about some of the more professional platforms and interactions that are available through licensing. You will come away from this webinar both informed and inspired.

Learning Objectives:
1. Discover various ed tech platforms and resources that you can use in your courses
2. Learn how to integrate ed tech tools into Canvas

Thursday, July 26 at 10am in Gray's Peak 1

Session Details 

As part of the Canvas Community, I would also like to invite you to collaborate with me on this presentation. I would very much appreciate comments on this blog post: are there any ed tech platforms that you use that you think are awesome and worth sharing or is there anything that you would like to explore? I would be happy to research and cover the interests of the community as I refine this presentation.

Photo by John Schnobrich on Unsplash

46 Replies
Highlighted

snufer‌ this is so cool! I don't know if you have followed the news about Twitter widgets: they are discontinuing support for all the old widgets (the ones made through the configuration panel under Settings) as of sometime in July; they've made the new system for creating widgets at publish.twitter.com really easy to use, but here's the bad news: no more hashtag widgets. Argh! 

Anyway, I've updated all my Twitter4Canvas step by step stuff and examples here:

Twitter4Canvas Home

I'm so frustrated about the demise of the hashtag widgets; apparently there are some WordPress plug-ins that will continue to work (although I'm not sure about that since the reason Twitter is discontinuing the hashtag widgets has to do with their support for the dynamic search that made the hashtag widgets possible). 

But it is what it is: Twitter accounts, Twitter lists, Moments, etc. still work. I converted my hashtag widgets to Moments just as an experiment back in the spring, so now I am glad that I did! 

Anyway, something to be aware of. 

I guess the upside is that Twitter has made a real commitment to this new widget system, so hopefully it will keep going strong for at least a few years to come!

Highlighted

That's a bummer, but I really hope we get a sustainable solution in place.  I'm going to go ahead and cross twitter off.  I think that your blog and the Canvas community is a better platform for showcasing that tool in Canvas.

Highlighted

Yeah, the ones like Twitter that require an extra step because of the javascript can definitely be intimidating at first! For people who are Twitter users, it's worth it, but if people don't use Twitter already, it's not the first way to plunge into embedding.

I just added a YouTube Playlist to my StoryLab demo course, with notes about how to do Playlists! 🙂

YouTube Playlist: StoryLab 

This folklore project is perfect for demos because it involves texts and images and audio/video. Yay!

Highlighted

Still getting my bearings as I rub my eyes squinting into the beaming reality of the real world again. 

LOL, Sean, and what an accurate turn of phrase for that common experience.

See you at the InstCarn!

Highlighted

If you aren't able to attend the conference in person (I myself will be participating remotely), we have some more goodies in store for you. Stay tuned Smiley Happy

Highlighted

I just want to put in a plug for one of my favorite Community-created collaborative resources, Course Design Resource Index (Collaboration)‌.

Highlighted

You have just made my day awilliams!

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

It's not a party without awilliamsSmiley Sad

Highlighted
Community Member

This is my first year to attend and I am SO EXCITED! I am enjoying finding my way around all the content here as well as ALL the 'trailers' for the upcoming InstructureCarn in Keystone!

Highlighted

Formal blog post isn't up yet but laurakgibbs‌ has been creating an amazing resource for this over at The InstCon Canvas Course Challenge!‌ Her course, InstCon Remote Control: InstCon Remote Control, will be the primary resource for all of us remote participants. It is already filled with great content and activities.